Windows 7 My RAM is halved!!!

deadrabit

Hi,

I have 2 sticks of RAM both are 2GB in size, however Windows 7 is only picking up 2GB total RAM. I ran crucial's examine my computer tool which informed me that instead of not picking up an entire stick of RAM, it was instead saying that both sticks were only 1GB in size.

I had windows XP yesterday which picked up the 4GB, I then did a clean install of vista and installed all my devices, finally I upgraded to Windows 7 which is where I am today, I never bothered to check what vista had to say about how much RAM I had though.

Any Ideas on how I might fix this?

thanks,
Dead.Rabit

memory halved

Hi,

I have the same issue. I have a dell studio xps with 4gb ram which was recognised in vista and after upgrade i only have 2.25 usable. Any ideas anyone?

I've updated bios, check bios mem remapping setting and still nothing. I need 4gb for my vm's.

Will i have to re-install vista???

Any help would be a big help.

Thanks

Al

Hi,

I have the same issue. I have a dell studio xps with 4gb ram which was recognised in vista and after upgrade i only have 2.25 usable. Any ideas anyone?

I've updated bios, check bios mem remapping setting and still nothing. I need 4gb for my vm's.

Thanks

Al

Deadrabit/alc, please list your computer spec..
thanks, oh and welcome to the forum...:)

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3800+
RAM: 2 GB detected, 4GB physically
GFX: nVidia 8800 GT & nVidia 9400GT (no SLI, just many screens)
MoBo: Asus M2N-E SLI

Thats most generic stuff, if you need anything more specific feel free to ask =]
Thanks
D.R

How much RAM do the cards have? Oh and are you running in 32 or 64bit?

Sorry for the late reply, I'm running the 64 bit profesional edition and both graphics cards have 512MB of RAM.

Tried out CPU-Z from your signature, this may be easier. =]

D.R

Last edited:
Thanks for the CPU-Z shot it helped a great deal....

What speed is the RAM supposed to run at? Also did you change the timings at all?

If you haven't changed anything try something for me please.... Just take out the RAM and make sure that the connections are clean and free of dust. They should also be in the slots situated the closest to your CPU.
If taking them out and putting them back in hasn't made any difference, Try running this software found here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Full instructions are found on the above site apart from test one stick at a time otherwise if tested both together errors can be missed..

ah, Cleaning the RAM seems to of worked, either that or just the simple act of removing them and putting them back in different slots... I dont know.. , thanks for all the help

Rabit

It is usual on Motherboards with four slots to use slots one and three for the first two DIMMs and then if you install two more DIMMs use slots two and four

It is usual on Motherboards with four slots to use slots one and three for the first two DIMMs and then if you install two more DIMMs use slots two and four

That can be true of dual channel memory and older boards. I had an MSI board once and to achieve dual channel, RAM had to be situated as you described with the slots coloured accordingly. My latest board though doesn't mind where it's placed as long as the memory is paired (although it's still better to start with slot one though)

Deadrabit...
glad that worked out for you...:) Any other problems just ask..

Hi,

Thanks

Al
Hi alc

Have you checked in the BIOS that the memory hole remapping option is enabled. If this option is not enabled Windows of any description will only report 2.5Gb of a 4Gb install. Win 64 bit should see all of the 4GB but Win 32 bit will only see a max of 3.5 if you have a 512Mb graphics card as 32 Win includes graphics card mem in the total mem available.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Back
Top Bottom