Windows 7 My routers arent working

evilmadboy

So i got a new desktop With windows 7 and i was trying to hook it up with my Linksys WRT160N router via wires , it worked but connection kept getting dropped. I upgraded firmware and it was working fine. After few hours it stopped so unplugged my router and plugged it back and well it doesnt work at all now.

I try to go to the router page by typeing the IP of it in the browser and it doesnt even come up, i also get errors like Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP Configuration.

I tried a older DLINK router and the same thing is happening.

Old Router? Try removing IPv6.

I ran into a similar sounding problem with my install of Win 7 Pro. I have an old (still functional) DLink DI-524 router that was not assigning a valid IP even though everywhere DHCP was activated. In fact, the router's log showed repeated leases granted and dropped by the Win 7 machine. All had worked perfectly in XP (one wired + two wireless machines) and Ubuntu (installed and from the live CD).

I looked at the network adapter properties and saw that it was using IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time. I unchecked IPv6, clicked OK, and the problem was solved. It's been running flawlessly ever since. :)

Toño

I ran into a similar sounding problem with my install of Win 7 Pro. I have an old (still functional) DLink DI-524 router that was not assigning a valid IP even though everywhere DHCP was activated. In fact, the router's log showed repeated leases granted and dropped by the Win 7 machine. All had worked perfectly in XP (one wired + two wireless machines) and Ubuntu (installed and from the live CD).

I looked at the network adapter properties and saw that it was using IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time. I unchecked IPv6, clicked OK, and the problem was solved. It's been running flawlessly ever since. :)

Toño

Thats also one of the services I have listed to turn off under Msconfig, in the speed tweaks link below in the tag line.

IP Helper - Very few ISP's offer a native IPv6 network to home users and no reason exists to have both IPv6 and the tried and true IPv4 on a home network.

Ok my net is finally fixed.

I called Linksys and apparantly my linksys router is defective so they giving me a new one. For my old dlink, i unchecked that IpV6 thing and under the network card settings in advanced, i enabled Large Send offload V2 (ipv4) and now everything is working fine.

Ok my net is finally fixed.

I called Linksys and apparantly my linksys router is defective so they giving me a new one. For my old dlink, i unchecked that IpV6 thing and under the network card settings in advanced, i enabled Large Send offload V2 (ipv4) and now everything is working fine.

I doubt your router is defective. Here is my theory.... Win 7 has the ability to shoot data through a network FASTER than XP and Vista. The router could handle the load under XP and Vista.. but maxed out under the load 7 was putting on it. There solutioin is new firmware or new router technology.... or a tweak that will slow down 7, Until then, people that have this problem come up once or twice a month will have to reboot the router.

Back
Top Bottom