Windows 7 My system wakes up dead

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
My laptop will go to sleep BUT when I wake it up I get a backlight and fan, and that is it.
To recover, I must disconnect power, pull the battery, replug all that and cold boot.

It just started this about a week ago. Before that it worked just fine.
A windows update may be responsible as I have not changed any drivers and I found the video driver to be older than what was installed when I rolled it back. No power config exists in BIOS.

Averatec 6210 - no W7 or Vista drivers for most stuff including video.
All as new as I can find --But again it worked just fine till a week ago.
2GB ram
W7 x86 7600

It doesn't matter if it is plugged in or on batteries.
It doesn't matter how it goes to sleep - manually or by programmed timeouts.
It doesn't matter how I try to wake it up - mouse movement, power button
No usable info from POWERCFG -energy

Last edited:
Hi Ruggb,
do you have a system restore point you could go back to?

kemical
that is a too obvious question that I somehow always forget about.
I only seem to have a few going back a couple of days and I think it goes back farther than that but I will try them one at a time.

thanks

Hmm... You could try running the system file checker...
Open command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and hopefully it will fix anything it finds..

System restore is too obvious, but quite sometimes it helps and quite often we see users (not you) forget about it. :)

Just an article here:

Tutorial: Dealing with Wake-from-sleep issues | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Some quotes:

Disabling Network activity before sleep Terminating all network activity -- in some cases necessitating a power-down of the AirPort card or disconnection of an Ethernet cable -- is, in some cases, particularly effective at eliminating the "blank screen on wake-up" issue.

Do not connect, disconnect external devices during sleep
Avoiding disconnecting or connecting external devices -- USB, FireWire, etc. -- during sleep eliminates this issue. It also appears that, in some cases, all external devices must be disconnected before putting the machine to sleep.

Checking for Bad RAM Faulty RAM may be the culprit of your Wake-from-sleep issues -- especially if distorted video is present.

Garbled PowerBook displays: Caused by problematic memory? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Turning off all Wake/Other options in Energy Saver Some readers report that turning off all special automatic sleep options has resolved this problem. This can be accomplished by entering the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, clicking on the "Options" tab, then unchecking all options, including:

• Wake when the modem detects a ring
  • Wake for Ethernet Network administrator access
  • Restart automatically after a power failure

Close the lid again and wait In the case of some PowerBooks, simply closing the system's lid, waiting a few seconds, and re-opening the PowerBook allows proper wake-up.

No luck.....
why did it change
It was working well
no sfc problems
network disable does nothing
and thanks CYBERCORE - but I did forget system restore......

I guess I will go thru and backup all drivers one at a time to see if MS update added a driver it should not have.

Thanks for coming to the rescue Greg.. :)

It's certainly a weird problem and I'm just wondering if booting from the 7 DVD and choosing repair might fix things?

Good Morning team...

I clean installed W7 on another drive - same computer and installed a video driver.
Sleep works again but I haven't yet determined why it stopped on the other drive.
Then again, I haven't installed any apps yet.

I have a couple questions.

1st, the only video drivers available are not specified for Vista or W7 (SiS M741)

My BIOS is set for 128M shared memory, but W7's -screen resolution/advanced setting- says there is only 32M available - dedicated, system, & shared memory are all "n/a" - is there something else I need to set to change that???

Back
Top Bottom