Windows 7 Need help- Fan problem

Vince Vaughn

Hello, I would like some help with my Laptop.

When I turn it on, it overheats and shuts down in about 5 minutes.

Now I know, you might say It's the fan clogged with dust, But I tried booting it yesterday and the fan was actually working. I always keep my laptop on the desk so I don't understand the problem.

Conclusion: The fan turns on sometimes when I boot it and the laptop works fine, But mostly it doesn't turn on and the computer overheats and shuts down.

How do I turn the fan on when I start my Laptop?

Have you tried using a can of compressed air and blowing out all the vents?

Usually I use compressed air once a month to clean my fans and the inside of my case. It is cheaper than having to replace fans or a motherboard sooner than need be.

My first guess is that it isn't dirty fans, because dirty fans usually will cause overheating, but not stop them from spinning. If they were dirty enough to cause them not to spin, then I don't think the problem would be intermittent. The only thing that comes to mind that might cause the problem is bad connections.

I know next to nothing about laptops, except that most of them can be powered by either AC or battery. Does the source of power have any effect on the fans?

EDIT: Here is another possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8jtt64wmg2_b

The fact that fans turn on doesn't mean they work properly = their airflow may not be adequate. It may also be, one or more of your fans are "overdue", depends on your system and its age.

Compressed air is usually recommended, no problem with it, but I've got myself a system attached to my vacuum cleaner, which makes the air flow go in opposite direction, thus sucking off what usually is sucked in. It also makes cleaning mobo and other components easy.

Not a 100% answer, I know.

Try checking the machine manufacturer's web site. Sometimes you do get Bios updates relating to fan speed but as Pauli points out above, if they were working adequately before then do some cleaning and blow out those vents. Try checking Youtube for hints and tips on working on your machine and if your unsure where to access the machines web page then post the make and model so one of us can find you the link.

The fact that fans turn on doesn't mean they work properly = their airflow may not be adequate. It may also be, one or more of your fans are "overdue", depends on your system and its age.

Compressed air is usually recommended, no problem with it, but I've got myself a system attached to my vacuum cleaner, which makes the air flow go in opposite direction, thus sucking off what usually is sucked in. It also makes cleaning mobo and other components easy.

Not a 100% answer, I know.
There might be a potential static issue with using a vacuum near circuit boards, or at least that's what I've read in many places. My son has a small air compressor with water filter, and he gives my case a good going over every few months. With a laptop, probably just canned air is sufficient, though.

There might be a potential static issue with using a vacuum near circuit boards, or at least that's what I've read in many places.
Very good point, and something to consider whenever you do anything with your computer. NEVER do anything on a carpet!

Blow or suck, air can create static, but static isn't the problem, static discharge is. The only thing to be careful about with using a vacuum cleaner is not to use one with a metal nozzle, which could pose a risk of a static discharge and possibly a short, if it touched the wrong thing.

EDIT: Then again, other materials besides metals can effect static buildup/discharge also, so don't touch any vacuum nozzle.

Very good point, and something to consider whenever you do anything with your computer. NEVER do anything on a carpet!
We really need to make ourselves some type of static discharge tool that would allow anyone to use their vacuum to clean out the case. Or rather, we should have invented this when evabuddy had a PC case. heh.

I'd still buy one!

EDIT: I have a very open case, the Corsair HAF 922, with a big open side that I've installed a 200mm fan onto. I would have to clean inside the case every day, living in the desert with a very shedding dog, dust, and my smoking, except I've placed two used dryer sheets on the outside, and they really help a lot. I take them off once a week and clean them, or just replace them, though once they get wrinkled from being in a bag, they're not so easy to get to lay down. heh.

EDIT 2: Oh, and they do tend to block a small amount of the air that would flow into the case, obviously, so OCers should take that into consideration if their GPU/CPU is on the hot side. Mine adds about 3-5c to the normal temps. My 780 card would idle at 26c without them, and 30c with them installed.

Last edited:
We really need to make ourselves some type of static discharge tool that would allow anyone to use their vacuum to clean out the case. Or rather, we should have invented this when evabuddy had a PC case. heh.

I'd still buy one!
You mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Cylinder...93027236&sr=8-10&keywords=antistatic+bracelet

If you want to get more serious about it, you might get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Anti-...393027236&sr=8-2&keywords=antistatic+bracelet

Personally, I think all that it takes is a bit of care, like touching the outside of the case with your hand or anything you intend to stick inside it, and not stick something big and metallic inside that would easily short something out.
EDIT: I have a very open case, the Corsair HAF 922, with a big open side that I've installed a 200mm fan onto. I would have to clean inside the case every day, living in the desert with a very shedding dog, dust, and my smoking, except I've placed two used dryer sheets on the outside, and they really help a lot. I take them off once a week and clean them, or just replace them, though once they get wrinkled from being in a bag, they're not so easy to get to lay down. heh.
I think you mean a Cooler Master HAF 922. That is what I have.
EDIT 2: Oh, and they do tend to block a small amount of the air that would flow into the case, obviously, so OCers should take that into consideration if their GPU/CPU is on the hot side. Mine adds about 3-5c to the normal temps. My 780 card would idle at 26c without them, and 30c with them installed.

Static is an issue of voltage / tension differences. You need to make sure that everything is on "the same level", and you don't have leading elements.

Sure: This may sound rude, but, being naked on a concrete floor, not stroking your cat, you'll be safe. Concrete doesn't lead electricity. If you have a stripped wire between your teeth, grounded on the other end, all the better.

Hazardous: Wear nylon clothing, sit on a cotton carpet, rub yourself against it while you stroke your cat and, bingo, you're about to hit the lightning. You may even kill the cat.

Resolution: Soundness makes wisdom. Like, don't throw a toaster in the bathtub. At least not while you are there.

Once again: no offense.

You mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Cylinder-Elimination-Discharger-Anti-Static/dp/B00880BCVA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1393027236&sr=8-10&keywords=antistatic bracelet

If you want to get more serious about it, you might get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-ATS-W24/dp/B0042TLA90/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393027236&sr=8-2&keywords=antistatic bracelet

Personally, I think all that it takes is a bit of care, like touching the outside of the case with your hand or anything you intend to stick inside it, and not stick something big and metallic inside that would easily short something out.I think you mean a Cooler Master HAF 922. That is what I have.
Seekermeister, of course you're right. Cooler Master it is.

I was thinking more like something that would attach to the vacuum wand itself, since it would be the static generator. I'm sure those tools would also work.

Back