Windows 7 Need help getting Full Control over certain directories

redsoxfan325

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, so forgive me if I mess anything up.

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (over Vista Ultimate). As I started to install a bunch of programs (using my account with Administrator access), the computer said I didn't have permission to write to Program Files. When I looked under Properties -> Security, I saw that the Administrators group did not have Full Control, and I was unable to give Full Control. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Hello and Welcome !!

Most of the time permissions issues with Windows 7 can be resolved by Taking Ownership of file or folder. Here is a link Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums download and run that File. It will give you a shortcut on context menu. Once you get that the File / Folder which you don't have permission just right click and select "Take Ownership" it will grant you permissions. Make sure you don't miss use them by playing it Windows / System Files it will damage your Windows 7 install.

Good Luck,
Captain

When installing a program always do so by right licking on the install and selecting, "run as administrator". This will also ensure that it has the rights needed to make the necessary changes tour your program files folder, registry etc.

Hi,

Surly if you are doing a clean install everything else to do with vista will over writen!
Are you booting from the Win7 CD or installing from inside vista?

Basher

Hi,

Surly if you are doing a clean install everything else to do with vista will over writen!
Are you booting from the Win7 CD or installing from inside vista?

Basher
Don't think that's a problem - I thought the OP was just talking about installing applications programs after a successful Windows install.

To add to Captain Jack's post, an alternate way to take ownership of a file/directory is via Command Prompt.
Check out this tutorial:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Sorry if it creates any confusion.

I don't think taking ownership will solve this problem. Nothing will allow a user to write directly to "Program Files."
Are you accepting the install defaults for the path, when you try to run the program installations?

I don't think taking ownership will solve this problem. Nothing will allow a user to write directly to "Program Files."
Are you accepting the install defaults for the path, when you try to run the program installations?

Well i think it's good not to have write access to Program Files / Windows folders because it can mess things up if we not sure what we doing.

Well i think it's good not to have write access to Program Files / Windows folders because it can mess things up if we not sure what we doing.
All very true - it's not about "ownership". Running the install program by right clicking and running as administrator should deal with the install problem.

Last edited:
By default everyone except the users group has special permissions regarding the program files folder. This includes the following groups: CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, Administrators, and TrustedInstaller.

If you look at the advanced security settings, you will see the the permission entries for the program files folder and a separate entry for subfolders and files. Double click the entry to find what the individual permissions are.

The administrators group has full control over subfolders and files in the program files folder by default.

See attached.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 306
  • Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
All very true - it's not about "ownership". Running the install program by right clicking and running as administrator should deal with the install problem.

Yup !! I have seen lot of Programs just works fine when you Elevate it. And again please don't change any permission settings to Program Files / Windows folder Good suggestion Pat !!

- Captain

Captain Jack, you have write access to the program files folder by default as i have shown in my previous post, if you are familiar with permissions. How else would anyone be able to istall any software? I never use run as administrator when installing software and I'm sure there are many others who don't. Please do not confuse the issue.

As a security measure, Windows 7 doesn't allow users to create files in the Program Files folder. It is possible to take full control of Program Files, but doing so (a) is not recommended and (b) is not required to install software from an admin account.

redsoxfan325 said:
As I started to install a bunch of programs (using my account with Administrator access), the computer said I didn't have permission to write to Program Files.

Exactly what software is this, perhaps some download manager or the like that creates default download folder in the Program Files?

Is this Windows 7 compatible software? For software not compatible with Windows 7, right click the installer -> compatibility -> select the required compatibility mode.

Also, have you applied any modifications or registry tweaks to your system?

OP said:
I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (over Vista Ultimate).

This must be the source of the problem. Did you format the partition? If not, do a clean install again and be sure to format the partition before the installation process begins. I'd recommend this so you do not face other problems.

Back