Windows 7 Need Help: to upgrade or not

etornado

Dear all,

I need some advice with regards to windows7, currently my rig OS is in windows vista ultimate 64 bit/windows XP dual boot. Here is the Spec:

Intel Q9400 2.6G Processor
MSI P6N SLI NForce 650i Motherboard
8 GB (2GBX4) Kingston DDR2 800Mhz Memory
Inno3D GTX 260 OC Video Card ( X2 - in SLI mode)
Seagate 160 GB Hard Disk (X2)

I have some reservation to upgrade to window7 probably dual boot windows7/windowsXP for I could not found a windows7 driver for my motherboard (chipset). Does using the windows7 built-in driver for my motherboard could still support the MB capabilty to use dual video card (SLI mode)?

Dual booting XP and 7 isn't a problem.. however, to make it work right you have to make sure you install old to new.. As in Xp first than Windows 7.. and since you already have XP installed than your good to go... It's just a matter of installing 7 over top of Vista OR installing it on a whole seperate partition.. ;)

As for drivers.. unless you can find a Windows 7 specific driver for your hardware than I'd suggest using the most recent Windows Vista driver as they are supposed to work with 7.. ;) Once 7 is finished (or before) there will be 7 specific drivers available but like I said for now you can most likely get away with using the most recent Vista one's.. :).. this also applies to the SLI question.. :)

I'm not 100% sure if using the "built in" drivers will work for SLI or not.. I'll do a little research though and see what I can find.. I'll report back if I find anything...

I wouldn't do an "upgrade" though.. I'd suggest doing a clean install of Windows 7.. it'll take alot less time to complete and you shouldn't run into any major problems that way...

Thanks a lot pal, I'll take your advice. I will make do with a clean install of Windows7 on my HD with Windows vista OS in it, Leaving my another HD with Windows XP OS in it intact hoping that SLI will work fine using the vista driver for my motherboard chipset. As for the VGA driver, Nvidia had already release the beta version for windows7.

Glad to hear your going to take the clean install route.. a wise decision for sure.. ;) If you need anymore help at all just ask.. we're all glad to help out whenever we can.. :)

Glad to hear your going to take the clean install route.. a wise decision for sure.. ;) If you need anymore help at all just ask.. we're all glad to help out whenever we can.. :)

Dito on the clean install and have fun win7 = wow! :)

Back