Windows 10 Need help with Edge?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Because I'm having problems with Chrome I'm trying to use the Edge browser.
What I'm having problems with is the Favorites bar.

I've figured out how to save something to it, (awkward and not what you would expect) but once it's on there how do move it to the position I want and delete the ones I don't want?

I've got a lot I'd like to remove and others that I'd like to move to the front of the list.
But I don't see any options to do this.

You can't just drag them, so what's the deal?

Mike

Last edited:
I hate how Edge and IE 11 use the bookmarks/favorites bar.....it's so counter intuitive to say the least. MS could learn a thing or tow from Chrome and Firefox on how to simplify the use of bookmarks.

Yes, I want to remove and change the order of the items on the bar.

I just installed Opera, I haven't used it in years but it seem to work a lot more as one would expect.

Delete is just a right click.
Move left click hold and move.

At least that's how it works on mine, I have not done the anniversary update yet, maybe it changed.

Hi

I should have been more specific, I can drag the icons in the top bar, but the ones going down the right side after I click the \/ I can't move.

Since all the shortcuts I add end up at the end of a pretty long list this is a problem.

I don't get a right click menu when I click on an icon, so this may be something to do with my right click problem but I am getting my normal menus in other applications, including Opera.

Mike

Just checked on my virtual insider which is the latest version and it works fine, right click gives me the drop down menu, & left & hold allows me to move the favorite within the folder.

Hi

I get the right click menu across the top, but not on the ones going down the right side.
They are active, if I click on one it goes to the web address, but I can't find a way to move or remove them.

Do you know if they are stored someplace in a form I can edit?

Mike

PS. I thought that I found it, I found a Favorites Folder that seemed to be associated with Edge, but I removed a bunch of the links and then reopened Edge and everything is still there.

I'll try rebooting.

PS. 2 Well I found a post 39 pages long about it but no solution.
It can't be that hard, can it?

The thing is that I imported all my favorites from Chrome where they were all organized and they came into Edge in random order.

So many of the ones I use are not on the list across the top of the page.

I will say one thing though the spell checker seems to be working really well.

PS. 3 This is typical of the messages that I've found. LOL

After importing my favorites from IE, the favorites bar in Edge is now populated with alphabetized favorites, and Edge will not allow me to move the favorites that are on the extra pull-down pull onto the favorites bar. Yes, I'm guilty of having placed too many links on my favorites bar, but now I cannot pull the most-used sites from the pull-down link. Thoughts?

At least I know I'm not the only one who can't figure this out!!!

Last edited:
I updated my PC to the anniversary edition yesterday and it works fine I can move items around, delete, and add.
Maybe a reinstall of edge if you have not tried that, not sure if it can be done or how to do it but maybe an internet search will help.

sorry missed your new post, I removed chrome quite a wile ago and that may be why I didn't see the issue

Last edited:
Hi

Well I solved the problem, sort of.

I just started deleting the links from the quick access bar one at a time until I had gone completely through the list leaving only the ones I wanted to be at the start.

I'll have to restore any others I need as I go, but at least I have the ones I need at the top now.

It would help if when you create a shortcut it would put it at the top of the list instead of the bottom where you can't see it.

You could then drag it to where you want it.

Mike

Uhhh, that solution would make your life waaaayyyy too easy, and bereft of Angst; so that's why they designed it that way.:insanity: I spent several hours fighting with it today on both b10586.545 and b14393.51 just updated on 3 different drives on my Test machine. Maybe they'll fix that in W10 SP2.

I found some links that help with removing if you have too many favorites-I have over 4,000. Another thing I stumbled into, is you need to make sure you're OneDrive is unchecked on your favorites folder if you have that backed up to OneDrive as I do. Each time I kept erasing them they would all come back! Even after emptying the Recycle Bin. I finally figured out I had my drives all setup to sync with my Favorites folder in my OneDrive account. After some manual removing as you said, I got my 6 or 7 favorite sites to wind up on the Edge toolbar.:bigtongue:

Marc :alien:

I'll check that out.

By the way, since I installed an older version of Chrome, I haven't had the issues I was experiencing when I installed the latest version.
I hate these installers that work like Chrome does now that instead of downloading an install files just goes ahead and installs the software directly without giving you any input as to where you want to put it or anything.

Mke

Back
Top Bottom