Windows 8 Need link to download Windows 8/8.1 iso

brkkab

Excellent Member
I need to reinstall Windows 8.1 to fix a bug where PC Settings fails to open. sfc /scannow, etc. haven't fixed it. Neither has running CheckDisk. When I downloaded the Windows 10 TP and put it on my flash drive, it removed my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on it. I need a link to redownload the Windows 8.1 Pro x64 iso. to put on a new flash drive.

Since you asked for 8.1 ISO, I would assume that you installed Win 8 Pro first and then upgraded to 8.1 Pro via Windows Store.
If so, please use this tutorial.......
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key
The catch is...... do you have Win 8.1 product key ?
If you don't, the iso is not of much use to you.

Perhaps, you have to go the long way........re-install Win 8 Pro > install all updates > ugrade to 8.1 Pro through Windows Store.

Last edited:
Yes, I did originally do it that way. Then the links were posted here in the past to download 8 or 8.1. You need to enter the 8 product key, start downloading 8, then stop it and download 8.1. To do the clean install of 8.1 you use a generic key to install it and then enter the 8 product key, once inside of Windows 8.1. I just can't remember Microsoft's link for the 2 downloads.

Yes, I did originally do it that way. Then the links were posted here in the past to download 8 or 8.1. You need to enter the 8 product key, start downloading 8, then stop it and download 8.1. To do the clean install of 8.1 you use a generic key to install it and then enter the 8 product key, once inside of Windows 8.1. I just can't remember Microsoft's link for the 2 downloads.

I don't remember the link, but I do have the generic product key on file ( I also have Win 8 Pro )

XHQ8N C3MCJ RQXB6 WCHYG C9WKB

BUT, I had to start with Win 8, then Windows Store to install Win 8.1 using the generic product key, to activate using Win product key.

I have a laptop which was running Win 10 TP non-enterprise 32-bit.
I have just inserted a bootable Win 8.1 Pro DVD. System asked for product key which I used the generic one and it accepted.
It is now starting to install. Will tell you the result afterwards.

P.S. The Win 8.1 Pro DVD was created according to the link I posted.

Installation failed.
Went to 93% Complete and then popup message said it failed to install.
Might have a corrupt iso download.
I'll get another copy and burn it to a dvd.

IMG_2177.JPG

Went to 93% Complete and then popup message said it failed to install.
Might have a corrupt iso download.

So the download itself worked but then the install fell over? --- I'd install without the net if this is the case, then you can activate with your own key after... Untested.

The best way to install is with a clean install. I beleive you click on Custom after booting from the DVD or flash drive you have 8.1 on. Then delete all previous partitions that had Windows, EFI, etc. just leave the partition you had personal files on and then install 8.1 to the unallocated space. Use the generic key to install 8.1. Once inside 8.1 right-click on Computer . Properties and then click on something like Change Product Key and enter your Windows 8 Pro key. Then if you had Windows Media Center, type Add Features in the Search box, click on already have a key and enter it. After it's installed and your pc restarts, run Windows Update and install all updates. Do that a few times until none are found. Then proceed with updating/installing drivers and then your software. Also search the Store for app updates, too.

Back
Top Bottom