Windows 7 Need Some Help With Win.7

JBoi

ok so i've been trying to make my USB drive bootable for windows 7.. and i get all the way to the part where i type /nt60 X: in the command prompt and it says the the bootsect.exe is not a valid win32 application...

i did some googling on not a valid win32 application and it said files were corrupt or something... but unfortunately im on vacation visiting my dad in a different state and the internet he has has a download cap of like 400mb download within a 24hour limit and if i exceed that limit the whole internet goes slow for 24hours so I can't really re-download the whole W7 beta ISO...

So i was wondering if someone that has the ISO could compress an zip or rar archive of their boot folder with the setup.exe, bootmgr.efi, and bootmgr file thats in the main directory for me please? I think these are the only things that may be corrupted and i can't find the files anywhere on google or anything.. So this would be very very much appreciated..

Or if anyone could help me with my issue that would be great also.

Thx.

windows 7 boot animation problem

I have some big problem with win7.After a few hours of using windows 7 i cant get to desktop in windows 7.When it is saying that is STARTING WINDOWS doesn't want to come a boot animation it just freezes.I have waiting a lot of time but for nothing.Then i want to repair my computer and it is say if i want to system restore.I say yes then repair is complete.Then i have to reboot computer and then its just black screen and nothing.I hope you have a solutions for that.I have tried instaling x64 and x86 bit windows 7 and doesn't help.I have tried many builds and the same.I dont now what to do.First time i was using windows 7 was everything OK then i have installed newer builds of windows 7 it was hapening this.Sorry for my bad english.Thank you.

I have some big problem with win7.After a few hours of using windows 7 i cant get to desktop in windows 7.When it is saying that is STARTING WINDOWS doesn't want to come a boot animation it just freezes.I have waiting a lot of time but for nothing.Then i want to repair my computer and it is say if i want to system restore.I say yes then repair is complete.Then i have to reboot computer and then its just black screen and nothing.I hope you have a solutions for that.I have tried instaling x64 and x86 bit windows 7 and doesn't help.I have tried many builds and the same.I dont now what to do.First time i was using windows 7 was everything OK then i have installed newer builds of windows 7 it was hapening this.Sorry for my bad english.Thank you.

this does not help me at all.

Have you formatted the usb and copied all the 7 files onto it?

That is all you need .

C:\Boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 X: is not needed - because you have the 7 dvd contents including bootmgr on the usb drive.

Mark it active - it should boot fine.

Change the drive letter first - never use X.

(If you are wondering where bootmgr is - it is a hidden file - you need to show hidden files and protected operating system files to see it -)

Last edited:
Have you formatted the usb and copied all the 7 files onto it?

That is all you need .

C:\Boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 X: is not needed - because you have the 7 dvd contents including bootmgr on the usb drive.

Mark it active - it should boot fine.

Change the drive letter first - never use X.

(If you are wondering where bootmgr is - it is a hidden file - you need to show hidden files and protected operating system files to see it -)
ohh ok,, well yes i formated the usb drive to NTFS files format.. set it to active, etc.. and extracted the ISO files and copied them all onto the usb.. but when i try to boot to the USB for some reason it won't.. I went into my bios and i have like 4 different USB things to boot from..

USB-HDD
USB-FDD
USB-CD
USB-XX (XX cause I can't seem to remember what it was)

and I've tried all of those and none of them have seem to booted from the USB .. It just booted right into Windows XP..

http://maketecheasier.com/boot-and-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive/2009/01/23 <-- this is the guide i was following.. i did everything except the /nt60 I: part because it wouldn't let me.. and i just copied all of the extracted ISO files to the USB drive.. please let me know if I did anything wrong.

and also... what do you mean by all 7 files? theres 5 folders and 4 files on the usb drive which are.. File: boot, efi, sources, support, and upgrade
Files: autorun, bootmgr.efi, bootmgr, and setup.exe

Last edited:
Here is the way I would do it;

1. IF YOU HAVE A DVD :

Open an elevated cmd prompt :

diskpart
lis disk (find your USB Drive number e.g. 2)
sel disk 2
clean
cre par pri
sel par 1
act
for fs=ntfs
ass

For a 7 dvd where dvddrive is D and usb is E :

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

[For an .iso - you could extract the contents directly from PowerIso ( free version is fine ) directly onto the USB drive.]

2. IF YOU HAVE AN .ISO:

Download Ultraiso ( free version will be fine). It will do it all for you.

ISO CD DVD image creator, editor and ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO.

Plug in USB drive - no need to do the above commands.

Open Ultaiso - ( run as admin on Vista).

Click File>Open - browse to the 7 .iso

Highlight USB Drive (1) - Click Write Disk image(2) - in the next window , select Verify and Click Write (leave the default USB-HDD+ and Express Boot as they are). Close when done . That is all.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Jboi - you need to select USB-FDD in Bios .

Last edited:
Here is the way I would do it;

1. IF YOU HAVE A DVD :

Open an elevated cmd prompt :

diskpart
lis disk (find your USB Drive number e.g. 2)
sel disk 2
clean
cre par pri
sel par 1
act
for fs=ntfs
ass

For a 7 dvd where dvddrive is D and usb is E :

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

[For an .iso - you could extract the contents directly from PowerIso ( free version is fine ) directly onto the USB drive.]

2. IF YOU HAVE AN .ISO:

Download Ultraiso ( free version will be fine). It will do it all for you.

ISO CD DVD image creator, editor and ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO.

Plug in USB drive - no need to do the above commands.

Open Ultaiso - ( run as admin on Vista).

Click File>Open - browse to the 7 .iso

Highlight USB Drive (1) - Click Write Disk image(2) - in the next window , select Verify and Click Write (leave the default USB-HDD+ and Express Boot as they are). Close when done . That is all.

Jboi - you need to select USB-FDD in Bios .

Ok so I did the USB thing and it went through successfully.. now ur saying i need to boot from USB-FDD in the bios? I will try that right now after this post to make sure..

But when I boot into windows XP before the Windows XP splash screen shows it says

Invalid BOOT.INI file
booting from c:\windows

then boots into windows... I wonder if that may have anything to do with it? Because I'm pretty sure I've tried booting with USB-FDD before but im going to try again just to make sure...

and also again with the whole ".exe is not a valid win32 application" errors im not sure if thats normal or not because i seen somewhere where it said that those errors could mean file corruption or download corruption..

but anyways let me test this out real quick.

Ok so here I am and obviously... Didn't work..

I made sure I went into the BIOS and selected the First Boot Device as USB-FDD..

and it just booted into windows XP.. So i'm not sure whats really wrong.. Could it be missing drivers on my Mobo? I'm pretty sure the BIOS is updated to the Latest Version.

Or could it be my USB Drive? its a 8GB Sandisk Cruzer U3

I'm thinking though, it has something to do with the ".exe not being a valid win32 application" and that somehow while my file was downloading when I was back up North a lil while back, it could have corrupted somehow?

I'm down South ATM and the internet here has a Download Limit.

So thats why I was asking for someone to possibly send me a boot file along with the other main directory files? because it would be withing my download limit to just do that and see if that would work.

Did you try Ultraiso?

The download is only 3.5mb.

Sorry, this Forum only allows 2mb uploads - not possible to zip you the Boot folder.

Did you try Ultraiso?

The download is only 3.5mb.

Sorry, this Forum only allows 2mb uploads - not possible to zip you the Boot folder.

Yes I used the UltraISO and did exactly what you told me to do and it seems like it worked on putting it onto the USB drive..

I set the first Boot Device as USB-FDD just like you said.. and it still didn't work..

the I: is my USB drive..

and if i Double click on the Setup.exe or the bootsect.exe file it says..

That is a 64 bit application - you can't run x64setup.exe from within a 32 bit o/s.

You should be able to boot the USB Drive, though.

Did you Enable Legacy USB devices or storage ( it will say something similar ) in the BIOS?

You will probabaly need to remove the USB Drive when you see 7 reboot during the install - otherwise it will try to boot from the USB drive again.

You may need to go back into Bios and reset it to boot from HD if nothing happens at that stage - then restart.

Last edited:
That is a 64 bit application - you can't run x64setup.exe from within a 32 bit o/s.

You should be able to boot the USB Drive, though.

Did you Enable Legacy USB devices or storage ( it will say something similar ) in the BIOS?

You will probabaly need to remove the USB Drive when you see 7 reboot during the install - otherwise it will try to boot from the USB drive again.

You may need to go back into Bios and reset it to boot from HD if nothing happens at that stage - then restart.

Well I just went and checked.. There was USB 1.0 controller, usb 2.0 controller, usb keyboard, mouse, and storage function and they all were set to enable... there was also a SATA 0-3 Legacy or somethin like that and i enabled that also...

If it helps my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Just tried booting both from USB-HDD and USB-FDD and still nothing.

Last edited:
JBoi

JBoi you should try disable antivirus beacuse i had a similiar problem and i have disabled my antivirus and everything was working.Try this.

JBoi you should try disable antivirus beacuse i had a similiar problem and i have disabled my antivirus and everything was working.Try this.
Yea I've actually UnInstalled my Anti-Virus which is AVG and still nothing..

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
File is not designed for your version of Windows.
File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
Hardware incompatibility

Thats everything.

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
File is not designed for your version of Windows.
File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
Hardware incompatibility

Thats everything.
Ok well the only thing I could think of is the File is corrupt, or bad..

The other two below that wouldn't make sense and my hardware should most definitely support it..

My PC specs are:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
PSU: 630Watt RaidMax
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
GPU: EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+
RAM: 2x +2GB G.Skill 1066MHz
HDD: 250GB Western Digital 7200RPM

But it doesnt even seem that it tries to Boot from the USB Storage Device..
Is there a way to see if it even tries to boot from the USB Storage Device or a way to see if my USB Device can even be used as a bootable device?

Back