Windows 7 Netbook Wireless Problems

blyatzkrieg

First of all, hello since this is my first post here ever.

I recently bought a netbook and now it dual-boots on Win7 and some Linux distro. The problem I'm experiencing is whenever I need to connect to my wireless network at home I have to be nearby the router, if I try going upstairs I lose connection and network is not recognized anymore. I thought at first it was a problem with the range of the router but I booted on my Linux distro and, for my surprise, on exactly the same physical spot Win7 doesn't recognize anything, I get a 60% availability and everything works perfectly.

So long story short:

Win7: wireless works fine if I'm nearby the router, getting a 100% signal strength but signal is completely lost if I walk upstairs.
Linux distro on the same machine: Signal strength 100% nearby the router, 50-60% upstairs.

I have tried formatting everything and reinstalling everything again, I have installed the proper d.rivers of course, if not I wouldn't be able to connect at all.

Maybe this is a common issue but I'm fairly new on the Windows universe, version is Win7 Ultimate. Thanks!

PD: haven't tried on other places, just at home, and it's the place I have the most interest for it to work.

PD2: I'm sorry I just notice there is a network section, if you could move it you'd have my thanks. :)

Last edited:
blyatzkrieg, welcome to the forum!

My situation is similar, with my Linux installs having further range (or better signal) on wireless than Windows does. It's not a problem for me, as I do have decent signal anywhere on the property. What you can try to do (on Windows), is to make sure that your wireless drivers are up to date.

Also, router placement is critical. It needs to be in a room where there's plenty of space, nothing blocking the router at all, the closer to the center of the wall (but not touching the wall), the better. Some routers has adjustable antennas to where you can play with the direction a little.

There is one more thing, if all else fails. Get an external network adapter, the USB type. If you have a "N" based router, then go with a "N" based wireless network adapter. Newegg.com is a great place to find these items at a decent price, sign up for their promos, you'll get plenty of deals. Stay away from "no name" brands, there are plenty of brand name adapters to choose from. Netgear, TrendNet, Belkin are examples of brand names, of which I've used all three with no issues.

But before spending any money, try out the router placement options. There is probably a "sweet spot" in your home that will make connections better for you.

Best of Luck,
Cat

blyatzkrieg, welcome to the forum!

My situation is similar, with my Linux installs having further range (or better signal) on wireless than Windows does. It's not a problem for me, as I do have decent signal anywhere on the property. What you can try to do (on Windows), is to make sure that your wireless drivers are up to date.

Also, router placement is critical. It needs to be in a room where there's plenty of space, nothing blocking the router at all, the closer to the center of the wall (but not touching the wall), the better. Some routers has adjustable antennas to where you can play with the direction a little.

There is one more thing, if all else fails. Get an external network adapter, the USB type. If you have a "N" based router, then go with a "N" based wireless network adapter. Newegg.com is a great place to find these items at a decent price, sign up for their promos, you'll get plenty of deals. Stay away from "no name" brands, there are plenty of brand name adapters to choose from. Netgear, TrendNet, Belkin are examples of brand names, of which I've used all three with no issues.

But before spending any money, try out the router placement options. There is probably a "sweet spot" in your home that will make connections better for you.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Hey thanks for the reply! I see it's a common problem then, thanks for the advice, I will try this tweaks you suggest, it's too bad though this has to happen, since I don't really have much choice because I have wired ethernet computers on the router so I may be able to move it around just a bit, I've seen bigger antennas, and my router has the option to change it do you suggest I buy these things? Too bad they are not very asthetical but I haven't got much choices out here :p.

If your router has the option to change antennas, then that's a viable option to you. Many (like mine) comes with those very short ones, some can be changed, some can't (I don't think mine will allow it). That would be your least expensive way out, or no more than a USB adapter. You may wish to check with a local store, such as Radio Shack, because sometimes the shipping costs more than the item does.

I'm in the same bag as you in regards to router placement (have 2 PC's connected to it, as well as my NetTalkDuo phone service), this is why I moved my computer desk before the wired router was installed for the best possible signal across the house.

EDIT: Check this out. There may be things around the house to give it a boost for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBanew1wn8&feature=related

Cat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom