Windows 10 netsh.exe command popup on startup

gigabecquerel

I've been having this issue for a while now. Every time I restart my laptop, I get a seemingly empty command window that flashes and then goes away. I managed to get it to stop flashing somehow, and was able to get a better look at it, it had netsh.exe in the command along with some other stuff that I can't remember. I have done multiple malwarebytes scans, all of them coming back completely clean. The window also occasionally pops up when I'm using my computer for playing games, watching videos, etc. Thankfully, I have yet to notice any other issues, but from what I've seen online this could be a sign of a virus. I have tried looking for the command in task manager so I could open the file location, but can't find netsh.exe on the list. Overall, I'm just super confused. If anybody could help it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, it is pretty normal for some users. But if it is continuously running in your background then you need to get your system checked for any virus, Trojan or malware that's phishing through it. In most cases it pops up and then goes away, meaning it does not run in the background, but if its running in the background then that means there is a chance that your system is infected.
Below are the steps that make sure that you are always protected from any kind of virus, trojan or malware :-
Turn on Windows Defender
Complete the following steps to turn on Windows Defender on your device.

1. Select the Start menu.
2. In the search bar, type group policy. Then select Edit group policy from the listed results. The Local Group Policy Editor will open.
3. Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus.
5. Select Disabled or Not configured. It might feel counter-intuitive to select these options because the names suggest that you're turning Windows Defender off. Don't worry, these options actually ensure that it's turned on.
6. Select Apply > OK.

Turn on real-time and cloud-delivered protection

2. In the search bar, type Windows Security. Select the matching result.
3. Select Virus & threat protection.
4. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
5. Flip each switch under Real-time protection and Cloud-delivered protection to turn them on.

If you don't see these options on your screen, they may be hidden. Complete the following steps to make them visible.

2. In the search bar, type group policy. Then select Edit group policy from the listed results. The Local Group Policy Editor will open.
3. Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Security > Virus and threat protection.
4. Select Hide the Virus and threat protection area.
5. Select Disabled > Apply > OK.

Hope this helps you out.

Back