Windows 7 Network adapter repeatedly disconnecting.

Solution to the high load windows 7 bug

Windows 7 x64 Network Adapter Stops working on high load

Nicholas Li
MSFT, Moderator

Sign In to Vote
Hi,

Considering this issue occurs on 2 different machines, I also think this issue may be more hardware related. You may also try the following:

1. If the computers are connecting to a router, please ensure the router’s firmware is up-to-date.

2. Please run the following command in an elevated command prompt in Windows 7:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

3. Disable SNP in Windows 7 by setting Registry as following:
Note: Please perform a full-system backup first.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000
EnableTCPA=dword:00000000
EnableRSS=dword:00000000

If the keys do not exist, please create them and assign the value.

An update to turn off default SNP features is available for Windows Server 2003-based and Small Business Server 2003-based computers

4. If the issue persists, please add another network adapter to this computer and see how it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Nicholas Li - MSFT

---
After numerous tries this is the only things that improved the situation for me.

TL;DR - This worked for me.

Been having the same problem for months, I'm a pretty advanced windows user, so it's been frustrating the hell out of me that I couldn't find a solution. When I started a large download and used up all of my bandwidth the network card would suddenly drop. I would have to restart it before it would work again. There was no really clear pattern other than that, streaming movies sometimes, games at others. The easiest way to reproduce the event was to start downloading an Ubuntu ISO using some download accelerator to drive up the speed. In under a minute it would disconnect.

I've tried different ports, both on my mobo and my router, dug through my router settings, turned IPv6 on and off, messed with the nForce settings, updated my BIOS, router firmware, drivers, etc etc etc and nothing seemed to work.

I happened across THIS post by dbl17z on page #4, it worked for me. No garentees since everyone seems to have slightly different configurations and solutions to this problem (turn off IPv6 seems to be the other popular one). I just finished downloading a 700mb ISO in about 8 minutes with no problems at all. I hope it holds, but that's a new record for not dropping connection.

The short of his post is this, use the real administrator account to remove the nForce Network Controllers, then let Windows 7 install their own version when your computer restarts. Everything works fine. Make sure you go back to his post though and follow exactly, using the real admin account, safe mode, etc.

System Info
Windows 7 x64
Asus P5N-32SLI Premium board
nForce 590 SLI Revision C1 (Intel)

Goodluck.

Kinda need some help here guys.

Have a brand new rig, X4 650, ASUS M4A87TD (realtek 8111E, not nForce) and a new Asus router on Win 7 x64 pro.
but i'm still getting disconnected when i'm downloading or streaming.
when its down, i am unable to do a /release /renew but have to wait for a couple of minutes before it comes back on.
I'm on a wired connection.

have tried everything forums have listed so far.
1) the registry edits
2) turning off IPv6, TCP scaling, offloading
3) No bonjour installed (fresh rig)
4) Both updating drivers to the latest as well as falling back to the default (as above)
5) DIfferent router (Dlink, also new)
6) new cables.
7) another PC on the same network has the same problem. also on Win 7 but similar hardware. yet another XP pc runs fine.
8) hardcoding 100/Full duplex.

when the network disconnects on my win 7 machine, i know the network is still good as i can surf the net wirelessly on my mobile so this rules out a bad router (as well as point 5)

Any other ideas?

So I am reading this thread and was surprised but relieved that others are experiencing the same as there might hopefully be a solution found if others are working on it too.

I have a Dell laptop at work, running Windows 7. My old XP machine did fine but now I am experiencing the intermittent disconnect with the new one.

I got it the same day with the same stuff as the cube mate across from me, and he does not have the problem. The problem occurs regardless weather I am on LAN while docked, wireless when in conference room, or at home through VPN.

Our IT group has no idea and just replaced mine for a new one - which has the same problem. I thought maybe it was something I installed like Live Messenger or something.

Hi, New Person Here... Sorry for Necro-ing this topic.

Has this ever been resolved yet?

It seems there have been hits and misses but no actual resolution.

I have a neighbor who is exhibiting this issue on their Dell (built around March of 2012) With Win7 64.

Not having run into this before, I initially took an approach from the Malware/Spyware direction until I started reading on the Net about this as a Windows 7 issue.
They have a Netgear CGD24G Router, (I plan to upgrade the firmware in a few minutes) but other WiFi devices are having no issues staying connected, such as Ipods/smartphones.

So I lean back torard the PC/OS
I have updated the Wifi and Wired Drivers from the Dell site, but still an issue.

I have seen a number of fixes and I am going to try several.
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a "yes, this fixed this" answer more recently?

I will post PC's vitals after I make some runs at the Logs and test some of the fixes previously suggested, along with a couple more obscure ones I have also found for this.

Did anyone find the Server 2003 SNP stuff relavent to Win7?

To Note: PC was "recovered" back to the Original State PC was delivered in.
Issue was present from the get go, in fact the owner's have stated this was an issue from day-one.

Well heading over now... will post follow-up later.

Mods: If this should be a new post let me know and I will repost as new.
THX

-T

Back