Windows 10 Network functionality completely broken.

vacantecho

Ever since my laptop updated to Windows 10, it's had lots of network problems. A couple of weeks ago it just stopped connecting to the internet completely. It appears the network drivers no longer work. Apparently my brother had tried to "fix the internet by messing with the command thing", and can't tell me what he did with the cmd that screwed up the drivers. I've tried everything I could find to fix this. I tried to install a new driver, and it said it had completed the installation, but when I rebooted, the old driver was still there. I tried uninstalling the old driver, but it just stays there in the device manager, and I can't get rid of it. I looked at the website for my laptop, and apparently it doesn't even support Windows 10, so they don't provide Windows 10 compatible drivers. I also tried running several Linux systems and the internet wouldn't work on them, either. This was my family's "family computer" that everyone used except me (I have my own personal laptop). My parents only used it for work stuff, but my two brothers used it to play Minecraft and Roblox and who knows what else. The laptop has also been dropped a few times, causing the dvd drive and some usb ports to be broken. My parents completely gave up on fixing it and bought themselves new laptops, but I'd like to try to fix it if possible or at least figure out what exactly the problem is. It's a Dell Inspirion 15R 5520, I believe. Is this even a Windows 10 issue, or a problem with my laptop? Any help and feedback is appreciated!

Well there are no Windows 10 drivers from the manufacturer site, so if you can't find Windows 10 drivers from the individual component sites, it's less likely that this system will work with Windows 10. Linux is a completely different story and would require looking at logs if network device modules were not loading such as dmesg (kernel ring buffer log)

It has been dropped, and as BBJ always says there is no software that can fix broken hardware. Go back to the original Windows version and you will find out if it is really beyond repair or useable again.

Before doing that try connecting to a cabled network and you know whether it is a WiFi only problem or not.

Last edited:
Back