Windows 7 network location

Zorac

i cant change my network location for my home nic (i have two nics, one for the adsl, one for the home network), it keeps defaulting to 'public' and wont let me change it to work or home, which causes me problem with the firewall, as i basically ahve to open up all the public settings to get file and print sharing on my local network. did it in build 7000, and i though it was probalby just a bug and homegroup was flakey as well, but now im on build 7057 and have the same issue.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Solution
It seems like you are experiencing difficulties changing the network location for your home NIC from public to work or home in Windows. This can indeed cause issues with firewall settings and sharing options. Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Method 1: Changing Network Location via Settings​

1. Open Settings:
    • Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
    []Click on "Change connection properties" under the network name. []Change Network Profile:
    • You should see the network profile (Public, Private, or Domain). Click on it and choose the desired profile (Work or Home).

Method 2: Using PowerShell Commands​

[]Open PowerShell with Admin...
It seems like you are experiencing difficulties changing the network location for your home NIC from public to work or home in Windows. This can indeed cause issues with firewall settings and sharing options. Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Method 1: Changing Network Location via Settings​

1. Open Settings:
    • Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
    []Click on "Change connection properties" under the network name. []Change Network Profile:
    • You should see the network profile (Public, Private, or Domain). Click on it and choose the desired profile (Work or Home).

Method 2: Using PowerShell Commands​

[]Open PowerShell with Admin Privileges:
    • Right-click on the Start menu and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)."
    [
    ]Check Current Network Profiles:
    • Run the command Get-NetConnectionProfile to see the profiles and identify the interface index of the NIC you want to change.
    []Change Network Profile:
    • Use the command Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex X -NetworkCategory Y where X is the interface index from the previous step and Y is the desired category (1 for private, 0 for public).

Method 3: Registry Editor (Advanced Users)​

[
    ]Open Registry Editor:
    • Press Win + R, type "regedit," and hit Enter.
    []Navigate to the Network Profile Key:
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles.
    [
    ]Find the Profile Associated with the NIC:
    • Look for the profile associated with your home NIC and change the category from 0 to 1 for home or work.
    []Restart:
    • Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Method 4: Resetting Network Settings​

[
    ]Netsh Command:
    • Open Command Prompt with Admin rights and run netsh int ip reset followed by netsh winsock reset.
  2. Restart:
    • Restart your computer and check if you can now set the network location. Try these methods and see if you can successfully change the network location for your home NIC. If the issue persists, let me know for further assistance.

Solution
Back