Windows XP Network Only Access

Joe S

Excellent Member
With the end of XP coming shortly is there a simple way to make XP connect with a home network but not have internet access? I meant like transfering files back and forth to use old software on XP that won't install on newer Windows. I think other people might be interested in this soon. I haven't had much luck looking so far.
Joe

Purchase a modern router with usb access ports… I have the “Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WDR4300” http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300

This model has two usb ports and the idea is;

1. You plug a (4-32 gig) usb stick in the first one which can then be used by any computer on the network.

2. Typically holds a usb printer but any usb (including another stick) can go in here.

You simply set the internet access from the router interface and xp will never reach the net but can see files on the usb sticks that can in turn be downloaded by other machines... every router is slightly different but all the name brands will have “how to guides available”. Note that this type of setup is designed as a cheap (under $100) solution to home or small business networking but isn’t suitable for medium networks with more than 10 computers trying to use the same file at a time.

The other option would be to install xp virtually using vm-ware workstation but I don’t think that is the type of solution you are asking for?

Generally speaking, to keep any network node from leaving the subnet you simply exclude the default gateway from the IP configuration.
This means you have to set the static values on the XP machine for IP version 4 manually yourself but it's relatively simple.

I think I figured it out. In XP go into the Network Adapter Properties and find the Internet Protocol you are using and go into Properties. Then give it a fixed IP address. Fill in the Subnet Mask with your numbers. Leave the Default Gateway Blank. Then change to Use DNS Server and leave both blank. That allows network but access blocks Firefox, IE, and programs from updating.

Joe

That's basically all you have to do.
You may want to also enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, properties of your network card, properties of IP version 4, Advanced Button, WINS tab as well as enable (set to automatic) the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service within the Service management console (services.msc)

There isn't much on it except for some old software I use occasionally. I suspect others have the situation. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Most of us don't get to involved in the network settings area. The last time was when I used Virtualbox and you needed to set up a bridged network to get full sharing between host and VM. I switched to VMware and gave up on Virtualbox quite a while ago.
Joe

Hello,
There are 2 computers, windows XP is installed both of them, they are connected on network. Printer is installed in one computer and i would connect that printer via network. I shared that printer on network and also set both computers on same groups too. But trouble is that when i am trying to add device from start menu after i choose that shared printer but it pops up logon window where i have to put logon id and password but i have not it so i cant access on it. what have to do in that situation? how to disable that access logon on xp?

thanks in advanced.

Back
Top Bottom