Windows 7 Network Printer Doesn't Print After Upgrade from Vista

wyealbert

I have a LAN with 2 laptops and one desktop connected. The desktop has an HP Photosmart D7160 connected via a USB port. Both laptops have had Windows 7 installed for several months. The desktop was recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. After the upgrade, one of the laptops will still print, but the other laptop will not. The correct printer driver has been installed on both laptops. Reinstalling the printer driver on the desktop did not help. When the desktop had Vista installed, all printing functions were fine. I suspect a network problem, but don't know how to attack it. All computers are running Kaspersky Internet Security. I have tried disabling Kaspersky on the problem laptop, but no help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
wyealbert;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Try this;
First determine the IP address and the HostName of the computer that is sharing the printer. Then on the Windows 7 machine that apparently can't connect to the shared resource perform the following steps
Open Devices and Printers and remove any reference to the problem printer that may be present as a product of previous failed attempts to get it working then,
Select add printer near the top menu bar
Select add local printer
Choose Create a new port and local port from drop down arrow Click Next
In the enter a port name do one of the following
1. \\MachineNameHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName or
2. \\ipaddressOfMachineHostingPrinter\Printer'sShareName
In the install printer driver dialog box do one of the following
1. In the left panel select your printer manufacturer and in the right panel select your printer model (to use Win7 native drivers) or
2. Select the have disk button and direct the install process to the folder where you have download and extracted the Win 7 drivers for your printer.

I have a LAN with 2 laptops and one desktop connected. The desktop has an HP Photosmart D7160 connected via a USB port. Both laptops have had Windows 7 installed for several months. The desktop was recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. After the upgrade, one of the laptops will still print, but the other laptop will not. The correct printer driver has been installed on both laptops. Reinstalling the printer driver on the desktop did not help. When the desktop had Vista installed, all printing functions were fine. I suspect a network problem, but don't know how to attack it. All computers are running Kaspersky Internet Security. I have tried disabling Kaspersky on the problem laptop, but no help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It is FINALLY working! Thanks very much for the help. I don't know why Microsoft has to make life so complicated--AAAARGH!!

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Where would the smug smile of satisfaction and victory come from if everything was easy. And folks like us would spend a lot of time thumb twiddle'n.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Regards
Randy

I want to upgrate W7,but it doesn't work!
This thread is about "Network Printer Doesn't Print After Upgrade from Vista".
Your post does not actually clearly state what your problem is.
Assuming upgrate is a typo and actually means upgrade, do you want to upgrade Windows 7, if so how and to what or do you want to upgrade to Windows 7, if so how and from what?
If you are having upgrade issues ("doesn't work!") with your present PC and are unclear what the issues might be perhaps try running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and see if that helps you at all.
Regards
Randy

Back