Windows 10 Network Wireless USB 3.0 device doesn't always connect as USB 3.0.

IrvSp

Extraordinary Member
I have this USB 3.0 WIreless AC1900 device:

Capture.JPG

It seems to randomly on booting come up connected to USB 2.0 or 3.0. Of course, the Internet Speed will be different, USB 2.0, around 250Mbps down (probably limited by the USB 2.0 transfer speed), USB 3.0, a little over 400Mbps which is my ISP speed.

I know the device 'talks' to the USB port (yes, it is plugged into a USB 3.0 'blue' port) to determine which protocol it will use, 2.0 or 3.0.

I've tried different ports and also on our other PC. Same situation. This is an older Dell XPS, but the WD 4TB External USB 3.0 drive ALWAYS connects as 3.0?

I've tried different RealTek drivers (one in use above is the latest). There are ADVANCED settings on the device Properties and none appear specific to which USB protocol is used, nor can I find on the web details that match all the Advanced Properties this device has?

Any suggestions out there?

Googling it seems that RealTek devices for Wireless USB adpaters seem to have similar problems. By the way, we just updated from 100Mbps to 400Mbps and it worked fine under the 100Mbp service we had... as even USB 2.0 supported that speed.

What brand is this adapter? Is the AC1200 wifi adapter software updated? Is the latest driver installed?

By the way, we just updated from 100Mbps to 400Mbps
Try this; power down your PC. While it's off unplug your modem/router from power outlet for 5 minutes. Then power on the modem/router and the power on you PC.

It that doesn't work....you may need to do a factory reset on the modem router. There's a pin hole on the back of the unit. Inside that hole is a reset button. Get a paper clip and straighten one end out, insert into hole and push and hold the reset button until your modem/router turns off, once off release the reset button.

FYI: your dongle port type (2.0, 3.0) has nothing to do with your internet speed. That is controlled by the receiver (your wifi adapter). As stated, your wifi speed is1900 mbps. Which is theoretical....but you should see close to that provide that no one else is connected. Then it gets spit up amongst the connected devices.

What brand is this adapter? Is the AC1200 wifi adapter software updated? Is the latest driver installed?

Try this; power down your PC. While it's off unplug your modem/router from power outlet for 5 minutes. Then power on the modem/router and the power on you PC.

It that doesn't work....you may need to do a factory reset on the modem router. There's a pin hole on the back of the unit. Inside that hole is a reset button. Get a paper clip and straighten one end out, insert into hole and push and hold the reset button until your modem/router turns off, once off release the reset button.

FYI: your dongle port type (2.0, 3.0) has nothing to do with your internet speed. That is controlled by the receiver (your wifi adapter). As stated, your wifi speed is1900 mbps. Which is theoretical....but you should see close to that provide that no one else is connected. Then it gets spit up amongst the connected devices.
Thanks for the reply. I guess you didn't understand the problem?

In the screen capture you'll see the device connects @ 1300Mbps. This has nothing to do with the Internet Speed or signal coming into the computer USB adapter. AC1900 devices are rated by adding the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID connection speeds, 600mbps and 1300Mbps in this case. Those are connections speed, not theoretical, nor actual speeds as all they are different. At 1300Mbps it could top out at an actual speed of around 650Mbps or more.

My Speed I'm getting unfortunately is more due to the USB protocol. At USB 3.0 connection, I reach 480Mbps with some small variation down. However at USB 2.0 it is more due to the USB 2.0 Max. transfer rate of 480Mbps which is the theoretical link, and actual speed is around 1/2 of that (I get between 250 and 280Mbps).

The root problem here is the RealTek device. I can't find any way to make it routinely connect in the USB 3.0 Protocol. Majority of the time it is running in USB 2.0 Protocol as pictured above.

This not a modem or router ISP speed issue. My TP-Link router has as speed test feature, and it is showing my correct speeds. When the USB device (make doesn't mater really, these are basically generic and I have another one from another supplier that does the same thing on a W10 Pro PC) connects at USB 2.0, I'm getting about 1/2 the ISP speed I should. Connects at USB 3.0 and even a wired PC, I get full over provisioned ISP speed.

So, the root issue is either:

• Device itself (USB chips)
  • PC hardware for USB support
  • Windows 10 USB operation
On the other PC I installed a PCIe USB 3.0 card. This should bypass the built-in PC USB chip support. Problem on that PC still remains.

Since the USB adapters on each PC is different, that would indicate to me the RealTek internal chipsets for USB or the W10 USB support (sort of doubt that though).

I'm seen some reports in my Google searches that indicate the problem could be with RealTek? BroadCom chipsets seem not to have this problem. Some report that under the Properties Advanced tab some devices have a USB setting where on can specify which Protocol to run under. Our 2 USB devices do NOT have that feature.

The best page for settings seemed to be this one, Explanation of advanced settings available in the WiFi adapter driver properties for RTL8812AU? and it doesn't match mine 100%. I've tried all those, and some searches I've found contradict some of those suggestions. Maybe it is a combination of those I need to discover. I can set them all back to default by removing the driver and re-installing it.

Another would be USB Wi-Fi Adapter Settings to Improve Slow Performance and frequent disconnections on Windows OS and a little different.

So, the question still remains, how to FORCE a USB 3.0 Wireless adapter to ALWAYS connect to the USB 3.0 Protocol? Is there a specific ADVANCED setting or combination of those I need to set or is the some W10 setting I need to tweak?

I'm almost thinking I need to junk these adapters and start looking and PCIe Wireless network cards?

Thanks for the reply. I guess you didn't understand the problem?

In the screen capture you'll see the device connects @ 1300Mbps. This has nothing to do with the Internet Speed or signal coming into the computer USB adapter. AC1900 devices are rated by adding the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID connection speeds, 600mbps and 1300Mbps in this case. Those are connections speed, not theoretical, nor actual speeds as all they are different. At 1300Mbps it could top out at an actual speed of around 650Mbps or more.

My Speed I'm getting unfortunately is more due to the USB protocol. At USB 3.0 connection, I reach 480Mbps with some small variation down. However at USB 2.0 it is more due to the USB 2.0 Max. transfer rate of 480Mbps which is the theoretical link, and actual speed is around 1/2 of that (I get between 250 and 280Mbps).

The root problem here is the RealTek device. I can't find any way to make it routinely connect in the USB 3.0 Protocol. Majority of the time it is running in USB 2.0 Protocol as pictured above.

This not a modem or router ISP speed issue. My TP-Link router has as speed test feature, and it is showing my correct speeds. When the USB device (make doesn't mater really, these are basically generic and I have another one from another supplier that does the same thing on a W10 Pro PC) connects at USB 2.0, I'm getting about 1/2 the ISP speed I should. Connects at USB 3.0 and even a wired PC, I get full over provisioned ISP speed.

So, the root issue is either:

• Device itself (USB chips)
  • PC hardware for USB support
  • Windows 10 USB operation
On the other PC I installed a PCIe USB 3.0 card. This should bypass the built-in PC USB chip support. Problem on that PC still remains.

Since the USB adapters on each PC is different, that would indicate to me the RealTek internal chipsets for USB or the W10 USB support (sort of doubt that though).

I'm seen some reports in my Google searches that indicate the problem could be with RealTek? BroadCom chipsets seem not to have this problem. Some report that under the Properties Advanced tab some devices have a USB setting where on can specify which Protocol to run under. Our 2 USB devices do NOT have that feature.

The best page for settings seemed to be this one, Explanation of advanced settings available in the WiFi adapter driver properties for RTL8812AU? and it doesn't match mine 100%. I've tried all those, and some searches I've found contradict some of those suggestions. Maybe it is a combination of those I need to discover. I can set them all back to default by removing the driver and re-installing it.

Another would be USB Wi-Fi Adapter Settings to Improve Slow Performance and frequent disconnections on Windows OS and a little different.

So, the question still remains, how to FORCE a USB 3.0 Wireless adapter to ALWAYS connect to the USB 3.0 Protocol? Is there a specific ADVANCED setting or combination of those I need to set or is the some W10 setting I need to tweak?

I'm almost thinking I need to junk these adapters and start looking and PCIe Wireless network cards?
Wifi adapters with the Realtec chip only connect on my Intel i7, Windows 10 PCs as USB 3.0. I now have ASUS USB 3.0 adapters (more expensive but worth it) and they always connect as USB 3.0. So, your solution is to replace any adapter with the Realtec chip (chip set).

Wifi adapters with the Realtec chip only connect on my Intel i7, Windows 10 PCs as USB 3.0. I now have ASUS USB 3.0 adapters (more expensive but worth it) and they always connect as USB 3.0. So, your solution is to replace any adapter with the Realtec chip (chip set).
I discovered there is a Service of RealTek that runs, RunSW.exe. The purpose is to switch from USB 2.0 to 3.0. My adapter WILL come up in 3.0 most of the time, and I've even noticed it not starting in USB 3.0 but changing to it later.

I have the latest RealTek RTL8814AU driver and utility installed as well.

I think this will help the understanding here, Understanding mode switching in Realtek RTL8812AU 802.11ac Windows drivers. It seems it will 'switch' when the Internet is OVER 480Mbps which is the MAX. speed for USB 2.0. I suspect the same holds true for the Chipset I have.

I have 400Mbps d/l service. ISP's generally over provision by 20%... and max. then would be 480Mbps.

Here is my Speedtest (on Spectrum WAN site):

Capture.JPG

That would force the device to USB 3.0, but I am not using it now, Ethernet connected. When I do use Wireless, I see it at 3.0 sometimes, other times 2.0, so I suspect the link I referenced could be correct. It is a 'RealTek' driver that is being used.

You probably have the same Service running as well, look for RunSwUSB service in Services, installed by RealTek.

Back