Windows 7 New Clean Install

sisyphus

I have been using W7 for a week with various gimicks to thwart the driver signing issue. Last night, I did a clean install and restored my applications from backup. In some cases (Office, Outlook, Power DVD) I had to re-install from the original media, but my settings and data were preserved from the backup.
It's all good now: the DVD drive installed without problems. I did have to run my drivers/utilities disc to load the Co-processor and SM buss drivers for my nVidia based motherboard, but that was all.
My PC is a Shuttle SN78SH7 Bare Bones machine with an AMD 8750 "Black Edition" 3 core, 2.4 Ghz CPU. With the multiplier set to 14.5 it is running at 2.9 Ghz with clocks and voltages on Auto. I am running two WD 250 GB SATA drives.
All is well!:)

Hi sisyphus and Welcome to Windows 7 Forums! :)

Wicked! Glad to hear you were able to get everything up and running without too much of a hitch! :) Yet another person gets to enjoy the sheer awesomeness that is Windows 7 Beta! :) Enjoy!

I do like W7 a lot!
Just one thing: The "Backup Now" function does not work: it sits at 7% completed forever. And the Action Center and icon in the tray has a Flag indicating "Backup in progress" when none is. I disabled the notification and the icon as this kind of thing annoys me like a bug in my windshield. I'm sure MS will work this out.:)

P.S. I have been using "Create An Image Backup" in Backup & Restore. That works best for me.

Last edited:
I do like W7 a lot!
Just one thing: The "Backup Now" function does not work: it sits at 7% completed forever. And the Action Center and icon in the tray has a Flag indicating "Backup in progress" when none is. I disabled the notification and the icon as this kind of thing annoys me like a bug in my windshield. I'm sure MS will work this out.:)

P.S. I have been using "Create An Image Backup" in Backup & Restore. That works best for me.
No, I'm pretty sure they won't do it till Windows 7 SP1 :) Hell they won't know about it till around September/October.

CPU multiplier on SN78SH7

Hi Sisyphus,

I know I am fully off topic here, but I would like to ask you a question regarding the SN78SH7.

I am currently using one with a Phenom II 940 BE and Windows XP Pro (32 Bit).

Though I am using the latest Bios version, I simply cannot find the actual setting to access the CPU multiplier.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

DrJo

Hi Sisyphus,

I know I am fully off topic here, but I would like to ask you a question regarding the SN78SH7.

I am currently using one with a Phenom II 940 BE and Windows XP Pro (32 Bit).

Though I am using the latest Bios version, I simply cannot find the actual setting to access the CPU multiplier.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

DrJo

Hi DrJo,
why not try the shuttle forum with your question? Shuttle Computers Forum

I should have mentioned that I did actually download and look through the manual for your machine and from the settings I found (see screenshot) deduced that the settings arrowed seemed your best bet:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I didn't see anything to do with a multiplier though, which obviously is the best way to overclock a BE chip. I only saw settings to change the Bus speed and so thought it best to suggest the above forum. Please let me know how you get on. :)

Hi Kemical,

As you suggested, I have already overclocked my CPU to 3.4Ghz (ICE air cooling and default voltage) with stable performance using the FSB setting.

However, having a BE chip, I wanted to use the multiplier rather than the bus frequency. It may also help reach higher overclocks by raising both multiplier and bus frequency.

I also emailed Shuttle with my query and they quite abnoxiously told me that the CPU ratio setting was available in the Bios for BE CPU only (despite not being mentioned in the manual) and that my CPU was probably defective since I did not have access to this feature.

I will try Modbin6 tonight to see if I can have access to this setting via that route.

I'll keep you posted on my findings.

Thanks a lot.

DrJo

Using the multiplier on my board I have my 940 BE running at 3.6GHz with a 0.050 rise in voltage (bugger all in fact) from 1.36v to 1.42v (see screenshot) so yes if you could find the multiplier..... ;)
What about Bios updates?
A new Bios can add (or take away) certain features and it's usually best to have the later versions to get the most from your motherboards Bios. These are in fact factory updates and whilst it's true that not all are needed it's usually best to keep up to date.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Yesterday, I've tried Modbin6 to access all the Bios options and there it was, "CPU ratio", fully accessible and modifiable by any value, from x4 to x20.

I decided not to save or load the modified bios, as not to void the warranty.

Nonetheless, it proves that the option does exist but is hidden from customers in all the implementations of the Bios for the SN78SH7 (I've tried them all).

The other alternative is that my Bios chip is somehow defective and does not allow to display the option (though highly improbable).

I keep in touch with Shuttle Technical team to learn more on the subject and maybe get a replacement unit.

Thanks for your help and happy overclocking. PII 940BE Rocks. :cool:

Back