Windows 7 New Custom Built System with BSOD from day one

entropical

Hello all,

Last week I built a new system for my father and it has been giving seemingly random Blue Screen of Death errors since day one.

We have tried testing the RAM with memtest86+ for 9 consecutive passes without errors (screenshot included in .zip) and completely re-installing Windows 7, downloading the latest drivers for everything and flashing the BIOS to the latest version.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
RAM: Corsair 2 x 4GB (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD (CT256MX1)
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 7 350W
Case: Cooler Master N300
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Getting kind of desperate, any help would be welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PASCAL-ASUS2-BSOD.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 784
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff880092143f8, fffff88009213c50, fffff80002e248fb}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RealSuccessor+1b )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
out of the three dump files you posted, two are like the one above and one is blaming the MSE app in Windows. Bugcheck 24 means an error in the NTFS file system occurred and possible causes can be down to failing hard drives and the like. As yours is a new system I wonder if you have it set up correctly? When you installed the SSD's did you set the system to AHCI? If not I'd try that. This guide shows you how to set the system up for AHCI:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

If however your already set to AHCI then try running a chkdsk. The scan won't harm the SSD and will check for errors:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Hello, thanks for the reply!

I followed the instructions via TeamViewer on my fathers PC from your first link and AHCI looks to be enabled already.
He also checked his UEFI/BIOS and it's set to AHCI mode.

He is doing CHKDSK now but it's going to take quite a while he sais, will report back later.

Thank you for your help so far!

CHKDSK didn't give errors but another helpful person on another forum -after much troubleshooting- also pointed to a malfunctioning SSD and recommended to install Windows on one of his regular HDDs.

My father doesn't get BSODs now although it's pretty early to tell but he got them almost instantly when installing his Office and other programs before so fingers crossed.

I'll have my father returning the drive for a refund and will be getting a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB instead, don't trust Crucial anymore.

If we have any further problems I'll bump this thread (if that's appropriate?).

Thank you for your help.

Good call.. If any issues reoccur then simply post back.

Called victory too soon, he installed Windows on his Samsung HDD and the BSOD's are back.

Attached the W7F file, let me know if you need the whole shebang with CPU-Z etc. again.

Thanks in advance again, crying here a bit though ;-)

Attachments

• W7F_20-02-2015.zip
    275.2 KB · Views: 1,306
Code:

BugCheck 1A, {41284, 7fef9541001, 48, fffff70001080000}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4ad3 )

Hi,
sorry to hear you still have issues. The two dump files sent contained a Bugcheck 1E and the above. Both of these dumps are or can be memory related so either you have a faulty stick or something else caused the RAM to crash.
Ok a couple of things to note. Memtest86 really needs to be run for at least 12hrs as some errors won't show until at least that amount of time has passed. You said the memory had 9 consecutive passes. I've known error's not show until the 10th pass so it's not impossible for you to have missed them.... Saying all this though I've also known cases where no errors were shown in Memtest86 yet one of the sticks was still found to be faulty. This was ascertained by running the machine on a single stick. Check to see if it blue screened or not and then swop the stick over and do the same again. Sometimes one will find the machine blue screens on one stick and not the other so it can be case of some tedious troubleshooting.

Also did you download and install the latest firmware for the Samsung SSD?

As your using a UEFI Bios as well as a NTFS file structure can you please check the Bios is in legacy mode.

Hey kemical, thanks again for your suggestions.

My father is getting kinda crazy from all this and is doing impulsive things which I cannot stop him from.

He decided to RMA the Crucial MX100 SSD and already bought a Samsung EVO 850 SSD which is being delivered tomorrow.

Now, since it's probably not even the SSD that's faulty and someone else on the other forum he posted on suggested since we tested the RAM for enough passes, tried to install on a platter HDD (the Samsung) and have him go though multiple .dmp files, it could only be the motherboard which was left and RMA that also.

Which he's gonna do without further testing your suggestions in your last post!!! I couldn't convince him to try it, he's fed up with the damn system not working and already ordered a new motherboard as well.

Worst case, one of the RAM sticks is still bad and he's not gonna have solved his problem because of his impatience but I will be sure to let him jump through your suggestions then and report back if/when that happens.

I'm very thankful for your continued support in this matter so far, kemical, a big thank you for doing this kind of stuff for free!

Sorry I couldn't let him follow your last posted instructions, we will see how it turns out.

Later!

I can understand the frustration and if I can help further then of course post back. Perhaps if your father responded directly with the forum we could cut down on some of the frustration?
In any case the best of luck and please don't hesitate to post again..

He would post himself but his English is sub-par and he needs me for some of the more tedious and difficult parts.
Even then, I don't know jack about fixing computers anymore since I haven't had problems with mine for 5 years and never BSOD related.

Till next time! Thanks again can't say that enough, really.

Yes I'm back, back again :( He got a BSOD while installing his printer drivers.

So, by now it's a ASUS Z87-C motherboard (new) and Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (new).

Your last instructions were to test the RAM again and he's gonna let it run for longer now.

I also think I made a critical error when selecting the RAM to not buy a pair of so called "matched" RAM but 2 seperate units with the same model number.

To make things worse, his current RAM Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 (2 seperate sticks of 4GB) is not listed on http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-C/Z87-C_DRAM_QVL_0730.pdf
which lists all compatible modules for his current motherboard. It wasn't listed for his now replaced motherboard either.

I didn't think of checking that when buying. But by now; what else can it be other than bad/incompatible RAM?

Attachments

• 022315-6130-01.dmp
    312.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, fffff880026b3cf8, fffff880026b3550, fffff80002ed65ba}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExAcquireFastMutex+1a )

Hi,
hmm well.... If you take into account the above posts and that even though everything has now been changed for new components except the RAM then logically one would assume that it's the weak link. Trouble is only testing will reveal this. Although do remember that if after 12hrs memtest86 is still clear of problems then try running on one stick. Do this and see if you find a stick which doesn't bsod.

Hello again, kemical!

He tried booting with one stick and that gave an instant BSOD on boot.

He now replaced his RAM with RAM that is listed to be compatible on the ASUS website for his motherboard and has been using it for 4 days now without any more BSOD so let's hope it was this.

What started as a budget system now left him with motherboard they returned as repaired (but he bought a new somewhere else out of impatience) and 2 sticks of incompatible RAM. The replaced SSD was paid back, fortunately. I feel guilty for not checking on the ASUS website to see if the sticks I originally bought were compatible, but hey...

Thank you for your support!

Much thanks for the update and I do hope all will be fine from now on, if not then of course post back..

Back