Windows 7 New Dell computer....

In that case then, it is a hyperthreaded CPU, was launched at around the same time as mine, but it says that it's capable of handling 32GB RAM. I suppose that the MB is the bottleneck there. Mine says 8GB is the limit, but there are other features, mine costing over $100 more.

If that CPU is capable of handling 32GB RAM, I'd be looking for a new MB.

Cat

Yea specks wise it is a little bit a head of yours, though here is a kicker, if you noticed, it has an intergrated GPU. So while you are running and doing your thing at full speed, the i3 is being chunked in two CPU and GPU. Thats going to take away from the performance of the chip. So in all reality, it needs all that just to keep up with your lower powered chip. Also being that it is an intergrated graphics, it wont be able to use all the 8 GB as system RAM, because some of it is being used for the graphics. I have seen them go as high as 1.75 and 2.25 GB, then on top of that they would shadow it as well, so you could bu looking at as much as 3.5 to 4.5 GB of system memory being used for the grapchics. LoL, that is almost half of the total avalable. LoL its all about how you look at it, also we would have to get a DXdiag to know for sure what it is running at. These potentaly systme cripeling problems are things you dont have to worry about, hince the extra $100 cost.

I second that esspecialy when the system requrements are looking like this

Symphonic Orchestral

Minimum Requirements for PC

• Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 2GB of free RAM, Windows XP SP2 or Vista, sound card with ASIO drivers
Recommended PC System

• Intel or AMD Quad Core 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS and host

Sonar X1

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit)/Vista Service Pack 2 (32- or 64-bit)/Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)*
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67 GHz/AMD Phenom Quad Core 9750 2.4 Ghz
2 GB RAM
1280x800 minimum screen resolution
4.5GB for minimal installation, 15GB for complete installation
SONAR on DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW Drive
SONAR download: Broadband or better internet connection for download
Cakewalk Publisher requires available web server space with FTP access

LoL

You've got the wrong program, you're stating the requirements for the Platinum program which I do NOT have. The recommended requirements for the GOLD program which I do have, are Windows XP, Pentium 4,/Athlon 3gHz and 2 gigs of RAM.

For the Cakewalk Sonar program the requirements are as follows;
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit)/Vista Service Pack 2 (32- or 64-bit)/Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)*
2 GB RAM

So I am well within the recommended requirements.

To clear things up, as I have stated, I have the second generation i3 that just came out in the 4th quarter of 2011.

An i3 w/o hyperthreading? Peaking at 21% while doing all of the things that you stated concurrently....get real man!!!

What program are you keeping track of your CPU usage with? Have you tried the one that ships with Windows 7? It's there in the task manager. Or try Rainmeter, both are free.

Cat

My i5 with dual cores & four threads (hyperthreading) would break that barrier with the programs that you're describing.

I'm just looking at the resource monitor in Windows and it'll tell you the exact amount of usage you cpu is running at. I also checked the cpu meter in the Sonar program, and it's barely a blip on the meter. And that's with the recording test I described earlier.

Yea specks wise it is a little bit a head of yours, though here is a kicker, if you noticed, it has an intergrated GPU. So while you are running and doing your thing at full speed, the i3 is being chunked in two CPU and GPU. Thats going to take away from the performance of the chip. So in all reality, it needs all that just to keep up with your lower powered chip. Also being that it is an intergrated graphics, it wont be able to use all the 8 GB as system RAM, because some of it is being used for the graphics. I have seen them go as high as 1.75 and 2.25 GB, then on top of that they would shadow it as well, so you could bu looking at as much as 3.5 to 4.5 GB of system memory being used for the grapchics. LoL, that is almost half of the total avalable. LoL its all about how you look at it, also we would have to get a DXdiag to know for sure what it is running at. These potentaly systme cripeling problems are things you dont have to worry about, hince the extra $100 cost.

I don't have to worry about anything because the i3 is working just fine with my programs as is. I like having the integrated graphics because I don't have to deal with a graphics card. Less heat, less noise.

I don't feel the need for 32 gigs of ram so I won't be looking for a new MB either.

I'm also within the recommended system requirements for my Ivory II piano sample program.....

2.5 GHz Dual Core PowerPC G5 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

2 GB RAM
77 GB free hard drive space
I'm only using two of the three piano sample sets because my SSD is only has a 64 gig capacity. You can break this program up into three parts, one for each piano set. I picked out my two favorite piano sets and just installed them, and that worked out fine. Ideally I should get a larger SSD to hold the whole 77 gig program plus about 15%....but I really don't need it as the two piano sample set I chose are taking care of my piano needs.

You've got the wrong program, you're stating the requirements for the Platinum program which I do NOT have. The recommended requirements for the GOLD program which I do have, are Windows XP, Pentium 4,/Athlon 3gHz and 2 gigs of RAM.

For the Cakewalk Sonar program the requirements are as follows;
2 GB RAM

So I am well within the recommended requirements.

To clear things up, as I have stated, I have the second generation i3 that just came out in the 4th quarter of 2011.

OMG now you are a n00b. You just posted the exact same thing I did, and said I got the requirements wrong. LoL What a freaking n00b. I did have respect for you up untill them, now you are no better than any other n00b with a web browser and copy paste function. LoL

I don't have to worry about anything because the i3 is working just fine with my programs as is. I like having the integrated graphics because I don't have to deal with a graphics card. Less heat, less noise.

I don't feel the need for 32 gigs of ram so I won't be looking for a new MB either.

The fact reamains that you are at the mercy of your OS and hardware. If you OS decides it wants more power for the graphics, then it is going to take it and you have no control over that. Now if it dose that right in the middle of a project...out comes crap product. It is as simple as crap in crap out. You run the risk of putting out crap product and having to start again. That is a bad way to do business. People come to me not cause I'm the cheapest or the most cost effective, but because I do the job and I do the job right. I have had one complaint in the last 5 years of doing work in this area, and that complaint was invalid, becuase the owner set out before hand what he wanted and it was crap equipment. Its not my fault if you decide you want crap to me installed. like I said crap in crap out. OH by the way what was the name of your company, Ill be sure to stear clear of it.

I'm also within the recommended system requirements for my Ivory II piano sample program.....

2.5 GHz Dual Core PowerPC G5 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

2 GB RAM
77 GB free hard drive space
I'm only using two of the three piano sample sets because my SSD is only has a 64 gig capacity. You can break this program up into three parts, one for each piano set. I picked out my two favorite piano sets and just installed them, and that worked out fine. Ideally I should get a larger SSD to hold the whole 77 gig program plus about 15%....but I really don't need it as the two piano sample set I chose are taking care of my piano needs.

OMG, this is why people sould leave the technical work for the adults. Lumping the system reqiremnts for Mac and PC together, such a n00b move. Though I would bet that this was ariginaly writen for the Mac and ported to PC, so that would explain their lack of knowledge to how a computer works. ROFLMAO

You haven't sold me on one bit of your "skills". In fact you come off as a snobby pushy nerd who deals in computer sales who won't shut up until I buy something. My computer is just fine, it's too bad you didn't see the difference in the system requirements, 2 gig vrs 8 gig is a pretty big difference. And no I'm not gonna drill any air holes in my computer.

N00B, Look again...I put both the minimum and recomended...OMG you are such a n00b. It is even labled in larger font and BOLD, minimum and Recomended. OMG n00b, let the adults talk here.

Snobby....yes
Pushy......only when I know what I'm talking about.
Wont shut up till you buy something...nope, dont care. I deal in the service, that is where my money comes from. You can buy all crap equipment, and I will install it. Though it will be in your contract that you bought all crap equipment and that is on your head, not mine. I get paid for doing the work, not for what you buy. This is a small area and when word got around about how badly the owner of the first job screwed up the project with his crap choice in equipment, now people listen to what I have to say about it.

You can call me snobby and pushy all you want...though there are a few that you left out...elitist, 1337, correct, jackass, bitch, professional grade, the list goes on and on. There is a reason that people look for me and seek me out to do their work for them. I handed out 10 business cards, about six years ago...have not advrotised since then. Says something about what I do and how I do it. So yea, little insults from a n00b, do not bother me.

I was being nice, the only reason I'm being nice is that I don't want to get kicked off the forum....and no, I don't want your card.

I wouldn't give it to you if you asked.

Its not a matter of being nice or being mean. Its a matter of truth, and I know the truth. I am all those things and more. This isnt A Few Good Men, I can hanle the truth. LMAO

The truth is my little Dell is running just fine without you "fixing" it.
Mabye for your needs, but not mine. Opening my XP MCE in VBox would push that i3 to the limit.

So would running a distributing computing program like folding@home.

Cat

So why should I buy a computer that's up to your specs/needs ??
You shouldn't. I'm just saying that the computer wouldn't meet my needs, & hopefully am sending a warning to those who may think that a $399 computer (with or w/o the upgrades) won't perform heavy tasks such as the common ones that I listed.

Many computer users uses VM's rather than dual booting, & there's many who contributes to the folding@home project. That program, to get the most from it, requires the computer to run 24/7.

Your computer is for those who don't demand a lot of it, & that's perfectly OK with me. Had you not started this thread over a $399 PC (which I wouldn't have), you'd never left yourself open to debate over it. After all, we're only debating here, even you admitted in a prior post, that a more expensive one wasn't in your budget at the time of purchase. Which leads one to think, that had you had another $300 to spare, you may would have went for more.

I'm already putting $50 per month to the side for when Windows 9 (assuming that's the name of the 2015 version released), that's 3 and a half years, which equals $2,100, & intend to spend it all. Hopefully, by that time, 8 core Intel CPU's running around 5GHz will be the norm (or at least an optional upgrade), so will MB's that will hold 24 to 32GB RAM, & 5GB DDR5 NVIDIA GPU's (possibly 8 to 10GB).

This way, I should have a desktop PC that will last through 3 versions of Windows, as I prefer to upgrade with each release, provided the OS isn't a flop. Windows 8 will be a good one. And one that will plow through anything thrown it's way.

Cat

Cat...*super hero voice* fear not, good citizen of nowhereville, for systems with 24 and 32 GB of RAM are allready here. *flys away*

LoL Okay so that was a really bad version of a superman parady, but the point is still valid. 24 and 32 GB of RAM are possable today. Also the nVidia Geforce GTX 690 is running a 4096, but that is split in half, 2048 per GPU. Though I'm not too sure about the 5 Ghz part...I dont think that the processors can handel that kind of speed, with the amount of electricity going through it and the heat and all, well that is with out liquid nitrogen cooling. Though that is what we said about the 1 Ghz barier in 2001, so crazyerthings have happened.

OMG, Cat, look at this,

GeForce GTX 690 - GeForce

I so want two of those running SLI, and on 3D vidion on three 65" monitors...*drool* I would so love gaming on that.

That's a nice GPU, a very nice one. Probably better than anything that AMD has produced. Well, if heat will be that bad, then 4 or 4.5GHz, I've seen i7's within that range, and possibly one i5. But I'd want a 8 core CPU, I know that Intel has 6 core ones, just don't know the technical specs. After all, I'm over 3 years away from my goal, a super PC.

It would be my guess that a 240 volt receptacle would be needed for all of this?

Cat

I know that AMD has put out their 8 core FX series...I'm not so sure how it works though. It is strange that AMD is putting out a chip before Intel. Most of the time, well that I have noticed, Intell releases first, then AMD come and works out some of the kinks and releases after, and the only issue is the heat issue. I wonder if Intell is sitting back and letting AMD be the guinea pig on the 8 and 10 cores this time. It would be awesome to have an Intell i9 10 core hyperthreaded 4.5 Ghz, running 10 Megs L3 cache and 32 GB of DDR 3 1600 MHz, with four Geforce GTX 690 running in quad SLI...pardon me, I have to sit down a second ROFL

As far as AMD goes, I'm staying as far away as I can. Most every month, they release an "updated" driver for my GPU, running Windows 7, it looks no better than when the computer was removed from the box.

But with Windows 8 CP & RP, MS has produced drivers that gives far better looking graphics than anything that AMD has put out. On my desktop, I'm all but running Win 8 RP exclusively. The computer graphics looks far better than when new. I can only hope that MS continues to allow us this driver after Windows 8 becomes Retail, as if anyone can screw up a good thing, AMD does a fine job of it.

My MSI notebook in my specs below will continue to run Windows 7, but my HP desktop PC will run Windows 8 come this fall. It uses much less resources (especially CPU usage) than Win 7.

Cat

Yes, I know that there are several MB's that holds 16 to 24GB on the market right now......however, it's not the norm yet. Most of these computers ships with half of what it will hold. My neighbor's notebook had 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 (10666) RAM, he brought it to me to uninstall an AV & replaced it with ESET Smart Security 5.

Being curious, I went to the Crucial site to scan his notebook, come to find out that it would hold 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1333 (10666) RAM. I told him about it, he was surprised. We looked at Newegg and found a GSKILL 16GB set for $79. It was $99, but there was a discount code given for $20 off.

The notebook has an i7 CPU, don't know the model, but that 16GB of RAM made it fly! GSKILL is good RAM, that's what my notebook has, only mine will hold 8GB.

Yes, you're right. But it would be good to see it as the norm, especially in anything that costs $1,000 or more.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom