Windows 7 New Dell computer....

I just made a little upgrade on the Dell. I decided I needed to upgrade one of the SSD's to a larger drive to hold the complete Ivory II piano sample program. Checking at Microcenter, I found an OCZ 128 gig SSD for $84.99 plus I get a $20 dollar rebate, bringing the total cost to $ 64.99 plus tax. So I decided to go ahead and buy it. I thought that was a very good price. Last time I checked they were about $120+. So the cost of SSD's is coming down. So waiting a little while paid off for me.

I get amused at some of the discussions and the contents of some of the discussions here. My favorite photo editing program only handles an 8 character file name. (most of you never heard of that limitation before.) My FAR AND AWAY most stable OS on my 8 computers is Windows 2000 with 1 GB ram and a Pentium 4 processor. I have to reload Windows on my three Windows 7 machines approximately every 2 or 3 months. I am thankful for the upgrade option that allows me to reload the OS and make minimal disturbance to my saved files. I think it has been about 3 years since I have had to reload Windows 2000. (I have had to reload Internet Explorer two or three times during this time period, but not Windows 2000.) Granted, It takes me a few seconds longer to perform certain tasks than it does those who have spent thousands of dollars on new computer - and new software - but I am not in such a hurry that those few seconds are significant. Even with Windows 2000 on 10 year old equipment, the operator remains the "bottleneck" (the single slowest component in the process), not the hardware or the software. I speculate that this is also the case in the situation of spending thousands of dollars to have the speediest machine on earth. The operator is, as much so as with me, the slowest component in the mix. Chill out people, you'll live longer and be happier. :D

Back