New Features and Changes

What do you think of the website's overall performance in terms of speed and connectivity?

• Worse and Slow!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
End of April Update

What's New at Windows7Forums.com

We are currently testing the new WYSIWYG editor for all forum users. This change is currently in its infancy, and development is still on going. The new editor includes auto-save functionality, and the ability to switch between BBCode view and WYSIWYG view on nearly every compatible browser. This functionality is in testing, and any feedback you can provide will be most helpful. You will notice new features such as "Undo" and "Redo". The new editor aims to improve in many areas and is the first major upgrade to vBulletin's WYSIWYG editor in a very long time. The auto-save functionality requires no additional use on your part, but has just been implemented and will likely undergo further updating.

Some enhancements have been made to the built-in search engine that will be expanded upon.

Additional changes will be forthcoming and documented. It is currently asked that members provide feedback to any sort of bugs they see. We are currently aware of some issues with copy and paste that we are looking into. We can confirm that the translation services still function.

New functionality to display the Original Poster in threads has been added at the request of Saltgrass. We may replace this designation with an image in coming days/weeks as priorities allow.

The Social Groups page has been updated somewhat. We encourage members to join and participate in Social Groups.

You will notice some changes and enhancements to our default theme, as well as the Fluid version, which has had its width reduced from 100% page width to 95% page width scaling. This is to allow for some room and ties in with our older themes.

If you'd like to see a change, you may request it here. However, feedback is quite important and we look forward to receiving some from you.

Please be aware that some editor functions will not work perfectly just yet. Any major bugs can be identified and sent through to the development team for the core forum software.

All the best,
Mike
Windows7Forums.com

Re: End of April Update

Spell checker is missing, So far I like what I see.

Build update this morning.

[#VBIV-11970] CKEditor: Smilies linked incorrectly in editor but OK in other areas - vBulletin JIRA
[#VBIV-11969] CKEditor: Browser spell-check issues and missing spell check icon - vBulletin JIRA
[#VBIV-11971] On Edit Post, Copy doesn't work in Chrome; Restricted in Firefox and IE - vBulletin JIRA

In this case, reghakr (Jim) and Trouble (Randy) have been instrumental in our ability to report these problems. You will notice new editor features are now available. Hold CTRL while in the WYSIWYG editor to get back to the CKEditor menu.

We are continuing to test problems with any editor functionality, however the editor will now allow for tables, horizontal line breaks, correct copy from Word, and many other features. Full list of development:

vBulletin 4 - vBulletin JIRA

Note that we are running Sprint 1, which contains the new editor and is dedicated to its integration into the forum code. Sprint 2 will include general bug fixes.

Outside of code improvements from vBulletin, I will be moving quickly to get iPhone and Android apps online for Windows7Forums.com. I am hoping to have a site management meeting with our admins at some point soon to improve the general direction in which the site is going. A general moderator meeting will also need to be scheduled, but may be delayed until June. It is best to make this public so you are aware that we have been discussing the editor, the general direction of the site, and I am drawing up plans to expand the site and partner with other online communities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Auto-save functionality in the event of a browser crash or error has been temporarily disabled on the website due to page navigation issues that are likely to be fixed during the next update. FYI. So don't write a long post and disappear, just yet!

Update: We know about the video embedding problem and this has been released to staging on update.

Take care,
Mike

A new build with further fixes to the editor has been integrated. Members should find improved functionality with the editor as we move closer to a final release. A numerous number of bug fixes are being made which will be merged with the editor updates soon. We are continuing to work towards bringing special mobile phone functionality to SmartPhone users in the form of Marketplace applications for the Android and iPhone. Eventually this mobile package interface will become somewhat universal, and accessing a mobile version of the site from a mobile web browser will be possible once this functionality is added. These steps are unlikely to be taken until work on the new forum code has been 100% completed. I will also send over full release notes at that time.

Please be advised that currently several of our staff members are ill or on hiatus, including Mitchell, who would likely be giving you more announcements to work with at this time. I will keep you up-to-date on the forum software and what our plans are. Most notably, members will notice the auto-save functionality is back and saving at quicker intervals.

This feature is designed to save your message in the event that you unexpectedly crash or accidentally close your browser. At present time, the auto-save interval is taking place every 20 seconds.

Thanks for the update again, Mike :)

Mike said:
including Mitchell, who would likely be giving you more announcements

I'm planning to be back full force on Monday, though I won't be on the site until then.

Hey Mitchell, have you seen this? Some sort of bug/virus thing with this app.
Rainmeter.net

Last edited:

Yes I'm aware of the risks associated with it but I'm still planning to make a feature article on it due to the level of customization it makes possible (I'll also include info about the recent malware that some goofs have been including with recent skins). Thanks for pointing that bit out Jim, I would have looked right over it :)

At the moment I'm unable to "Mark Forums as Read". Probably just one of those things!

UPDATE!! As of 14:13 14-5-11 working again!

Last edited:

Additional code changes have been applied this morning that have combined a large number of bug fixes with enhanced editor functionality as we continue to work towards finalized new editor integration. Most notably, the ability to restore auto-saved data has been enhanced, and many known bugs with the new WYSIWYG editor have been combined. (The offshoot versions of Sprint 1 and Sprint 2 builds have now been combined into one build). This signifies that we are close to a feature complete upgrade of the site and will then move towards upgrading mobile accessibility.

When posting I'm now (always) getting this error message:
Code:
The following errors occurred with your submission

* This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 15 seconds.

The only way out of this is I have to close and re-open the forum.

What browser are you using? The following fixes were applied today:

version 414
branch svn://svn.jelsoft.com/vbulletin/suite/4.1/tags/2011-05-17-414_rc-2
last check in 43588 (05-17-11 17:10:49 CDT)

Fixes:

VBIV-12095 Reply w/ Quote returns html entities
VBIV-11879 'Select File' link in 'Insert Image' is extended to 'From URL' section
VBIV-2964 Useless phrases
VBIV-11827 newthread_newthread method's prefix_options return empty option label
VBIV-11641 Malformed Query Causes Loop Through Every User
VBIV-11939 While switching the editor mode font style highlighted is not retained though the editor uses the changed font
VBIV-12072 Please change TM in footer text and in logo to (R)

This will be the last upgrade until late next week, as all admins are currently away or pending vacation. You should not be seeing this problem, however, and it is suggested that you clear all cookies and browser history.

If you continue to experience the problem please use Contact Us and send the following information:

Internet Browser and Version
Operating System
Is the problem reproduced?
Can you show a screenshot of the problem? (If so please send one, attached)

This problem is not happening to anyone else as far as I can tell.

Thank you, Elmer.

(Mind you the forums are not completely abandoned, as Mitchell_A, whoosh, and cybercore will be handling admin duties while we are away. I will also likely have a laptop, SmartPhone, and Skype on hand at all times)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for response Mike.

Internet Browser and Version FF 3.6.6

Operating System Win7 Home Prem x64

I read your post and thought I'd clean up a bit.

I did a very rare Log Out from the forum and cleared all temp and cookies from PC.

Since I've logged back in (with a new cookie) the problem hasn't appeared since. I'm putting it down to a corrupted cookie (get your own back time!)

Moral is: Clean up first, query second.

Elmer

Back
Top Bottom