Windows 7 new graphics card.

emmittgator

snip.PNGas u can see from the pic here i had a 6150se integrated. and bought a 8400 GS. I disabled the old graphics card, plugged in the new one, then proceeded to download the latest drivers for windows 7 64 bit off the website. But i dont really notice any performance boost when i go to play games. still same settings as before and still lag like before. im convinced that i didnt install something right. or is it something else.

Did you completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones? I recommend using driver sweeper after uninstalling the old drivers.

View attachment 5176as u can see from the pic here i had a 6150se integrated. and bought a 8400 GS. I disabled the old graphics card, plugged in the new one, then proceeded to download the latest drivers for windows 7 64 bit off the website. But i dont really notice any performance boost when i go to play games. still same settings as before and still lag like before. im convinced that i didnt install something right. or is it something else.

Please post your complete machine spec'.

GeForce 8400Gs is a good video card, but it won't give you significant boost FPS-wise. You need a faster chip if you need good FPS rate at high resolutions.

e.g. Gf 9800 GTX x2, GTX 2xx
ATI 48xx, 5xxx

CPU frequency is important too. 2.4 Ghz +

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giving your CPU and Ram information could tell us more.

I did uninstall the old drivers of the old video card first. but i was 1.PNGwondering if i couldnt use em both at the same time?
also got some pics here of all my basic cpu info. thx for the help.2.PNG

I did uninstall the old drivers of the old video card first. but i was wondering if i couldnt use em both at the same time?

That could cause some serious conflicts.

What games are you trying to get better performance out of?

BTW, that's the same pc my dad just bought. The only drawback is the 300w power supply, which limits what graphics card you can use. I believe the 8400 does require a 300w power supply, so your good there.

If I was you I'd do a clean install. I always do this when fitting new hardware. That way you don't have to worry about old driver conflicts and can start with a level playing field.

ok thanks for the info. also when i uninstall the drivers for the old graphics card, windows updates tried to put em back on there.

You can stop that easily by changing your settings to the ones shown in the screenshot..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

ok thx guys, graphics card seems to be working better, now i just need a better internet connection i have the linksys wireless adaptor wpn111. but its just not fast enough, but only one at best buy that supported windows 7 = /

If I was you I'd do a clean install. I always do this when fitting new hardware. That way you don't have to worry about old driver conflicts and can start with a level playing field.

This is exactly what I do and recommend it too.

Back