Windows 7 New installation-No Disk Detected.

ihaveissues

Hi Guys.
I hope this is in the right Forum.
Briefly. I tried to reformat my dads hard drive to reinstall windows 7. It was in 2 partitions, so i ran the windows 7 disc and it ran through the motions, i formatted the c to re-install windows and it wouldn't let me. I went into dos under diskpart to try and format it that way, still no luck. I connected it to my computer then under disk managment deleted the 2 partitions so there was only 1 now which had the size i.e, 600GB Unallocated. I connected it back into my dads computer and ran the set-up again. Now the computer wont even detect the drive. I need to re-format the drive to like factory default, is this possible, also do i have to do it in dos, I really hope you tech wizards ca help me.
Thanks for your time.
Kevin.

Hi Guys.
I hope this is in the right Forum.
Briefly. I tried to reformat my dads hard drive to reinstall windows 7. It was in 2 partitions, so i ran the windows 7 disc and it ran through the motions, i formatted the c to re-install windows and it wouldn't let me. I went into dos under diskpart to try and format it that way, still no luck. I connected it to my computer then under disk managment deleted the 2 partitions so there was only 1 now which had the size i.e, 600GB Unallocated. I connected it back into my dads computer and ran the set-up again. Now the computer wont even detect the drive. I need to re-format the drive to like factory default, is this possible, also do i have to do it in dos, I really hope you tech wizards ca help me.
Thanks for your time.
Kevin.
Kevin, welcome to the forums.
Connect the drive to your computer and open the run command.
Type
Code:
diskmgmt.msc
and press OK.

This will open the GUI disk management app.
The unallocated drive should be there.
Right click it and choose new simple volume.
Run the wizard.
You can specify size but since you want to use the whole drive leave the size field to default.

Use NTFS and default drive letter, Win 7 installer will later assign C:

Use quick format unless you want to wait a long time to format.

You should now have a drive you can see in My Computer as an NTFS volume.

Now remove and install in your dads machine and see if you can do a custom install.
To be safe choose the quick format option.

Question, do you have an OEM Win 7 disk or a full retail?

Kevin, welcome to the forums.
Connect the drive to your computer and open the run command.
Type
Code:
diskmgmt.msc
and press OK.

This will open the GUI disk management app.
The unallocated drive should be there.
Right click it and choose new simple volume.
Run the wizard.
You can specify size but since you want to use the whole drive leave the size field to default.

Use NTFS and default drive letter, Win 7 installer will later assign C:

Use quick format unless you want to wait a long time to format.

You should now have a drive you can see in My Computer as an NTFS volume.

Now remove and install in your dads machine and see if you can do a custom install.
To be safe choose the quick format option.
I ran this and under the disc managment all my drives are listedinc my external drives however there is 1 that shows up as Disc 2 Dynamic and says it is Invalid. So it is picking up the drive just can't do anything with it.

I ran this and under the disc managment all my drives are listedinc my external drives however there is 1 that shows up as Disc 2 Dynamic and says it is Invalid. So it is picking up the drive just can't do anything with it.
You may need to convert it from a Dynamic disc. I do not know if Disk Management will do that. If not, you might try Partition Wizard, which can be downloaded and a boot disc created.

Yeah, Win 7 needs to be installed on a basic volume, see below.

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

There are 2 methods listed there, a GUI method and a command line method (DOS).

Both require the drive be installed in your working computer.

If that doesn't work try D\L Parted Magic from the link below

link --->>> Link Removed due to 404 Error

Burn to CD using the info on the web page and then boot to the CD on your dad's system
with the problem drive installed.

You will boot to a Live Linux desktop that runs entirely in ram, it doesn't install on your hard drive.
On the desktop is a shortcut to a partition editor.
Open the partition editor and see if you can format to NTFS from there.

You said you used diskpart, you must have created the Dynamic disk situation by accident using the
diskpart.

Once you have a basic disk you should be able to run the backup disks.

If they are anything like the ones I created for my Acer notebook the disks will recreate the original dual partitions as well as reinstalling everything to factory.

BTW, Parted Magic is a complete specialized OS, complete with browser and network
capabilities (the desktop includes a network connection utility).

Last edited:
Back