Windows 7 New Motherboard Install with Windows 7

98ZJUSMC

I had an HP 9150F Desktop that died awhile back. After parts swapping and new parts, I replaced the motherboard with a new ASUS P5Q SE Plus. All fine and well. Reinstalled all the hardware required to boot 7. Turned on computer went to BIOS. American Megatrends and everything functions. BIOS recognizes my CPU and all the RAM. I set the boot drive to my previous Windows 7 (which I was evaluating from a friend and plan to buy anyway).

OK. Windows 7 started to load and then went to a bsod that was too quick to read the message. Tried again and 7 attempted to repair. Went through the process for about 15 -30 seconds then told me it had failed. Tried again and the best I can get is the black starting Windows 7 screen then it blinks the same bsod.

I understand the fact that the new motherboard is probably being recognized as a new computer. Unfortunately, nothing tells me this directly. My concerns are:

1. Because Windows 7 at least attempted to load, Is my CPU still functioning or is it damaged to the point that any taxing computations (ie. Windows load) freaks it out.

2. or could it be that my RAM is fried. BIOS shows it there and the correct amount (3Gb).

I tried this same process with an HP OEM copy of XP from two computers ago and the same results. I am leaning toward having to fresh install a new retail version of 7 or XP. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Hope I explained this right.

Thank you!!

Hi.

Simple rule of thumb that must be followed without exception.

New motherboard = clean install of Windows no matter what.

TorrentG is correct. The install you currently have on disk is trying to apply drivers for a motherboard which now doesn't exist. Sometimes you get lucky and the system will boot but really for stability, a clean install is your only option.

Thanks guys. I kinda figured that out yesterday inadvertently, of course. I obtained an old copy of Windows 2000 and it installed no problem. Everything hardware is recognized and functions. It's off to pick-up a retail version of 7!

Thanks!!

Best of luck! Please post again if further help is needed. :)

Back