Tommten

Link Removed

I tried upgrading from 2GB (the left one) to 4GB (the right one).
What happend was that my computer got stuck at Windows 7 welcome screen for about 5 minutes, then the CPU is working at 100% at all time regardless how few or many programs I have started.

I tried using sysinternals process explorer to find a specific process to shut down, but I cannot pinpoint the source of the CPU drain. It looks like everything got increased CPU drain in general. Any idea how I can try to solve this problem?

I tried disabling LAN and onboard sound in BIOS, because I read something about audio device causing simular problems, but that didnt help. I also tried changing the amount of shared system memory reserved to my integrated graphic card, but with no luck. When I changed back to my 2GB memory setup everything returned to normal CPU usage.

Im using:
Windows 7 64-bit - Build 2000
C2D E4400
ASRock 4Core1333-FullHD
Integrated ATI X1250 graphics

Any ideas?

Solution
It sounds like you experienced performance issues after upgrading your RAM from 2GB to 4GB on your Windows 7 system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the high CPU usage problem:
1. Check RAM Compatibility: Ensure that the new 4GB RAM module is compatible with your motherboard and that it is seated properly in the slot.
2. Update Drivers: Make sure all your drivers, especially those related to chipset, graphics, and audio, are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause high CPU usage.
3. Check Task Manager: Monitor the Task Manager to identify which processes are consuming the most CPU resources. Look for any specific process that stands out and might be causing the high CPU...
It sounds like you experienced performance issues after upgrading your RAM from 2GB to 4GB on your Windows 7 system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the high CPU usage problem:
1. Check RAM Compatibility: Ensure that the new 4GB RAM module is compatible with your motherboard and that it is seated properly in the slot.
2. Update Drivers: Make sure all your drivers, especially those related to chipset, graphics, and audio, are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause high CPU usage.
3. Check Task Manager: Monitor the Task Manager to identify which processes are consuming the most CPU resources. Look for any specific process that stands out and might be causing the high CPU usage.
4. Malware Scan: Perform a full system scan for malware and viruses using a reputable antivirus program to rule out any malicious software causing the issue.
5. Windows Update: Ensure that your Windows 7 system is up to date with the latest updates. Sometimes, Windows updates can address performance issues.
6. BIOS Update: Check if there is a BIOS update available for your motherboard. Updating the BIOS can sometimes improve system compatibility and performance.
7. System Restore: If you can pinpoint when the issue started after the RAM upgrade, you can try performing a System Restore to a point before the upgrade to see if it resolves the problem.
8. Disable Startup Programs: Disable unnecessary startup programs that may be running in the background and consuming CPU resources unnecessarily.
9. Check for Background Processes: Some background processes can cause high CPU usage. You can use tools like Process Explorer or Task Manager to identify these processes.
10. Performance Troubleshooting: Run the Windows built-in Performance Troubleshooter to see if it can identify and fix any performance-related issues automatically.
11. Hardware Testing: Consider testing the new RAM module on its own to see if it causes high CPU usage even without the original RAM installed. This can help determine if the issue is related to the new RAM module.
By following these steps, you may be able to identify the source of the high CPU usage and resolve the performance issues you are experiencing after upgrading your RAM.

Solution
Back