Windows 7 New window for every new folder

Simen236

Whenever I open a new folder, a new window opens. This is very disturbing! Does anybody know how to get rid of this?

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Go to Control Pane > Folder Options and check the box to open each folder in the same window.

I cannot replicate the problem, oddly? Altering the defaults for folder views changes nothing. The only way I can get a separate window is by right clicking in the Nav pane and selecting "Open in new Window." That opens a new instance of Windows Explorer, with the folder, of course.

It's a LEFT plane and RIGHT plane "feature"

Even if you have set your preferences to open in SAME folder... as the default is set - See my image - red circles

When you click on a folder in the RIGHT plane it will open in a new window.. but if you click on a folder in the LEFT plane it will expand in the same window. It's just a matter of where you click ... in my example on CDL.

I think that is understood. But I am not sure if it what the op is commenting on.

I think that is understood. But I am not sure if it what the op is commenting on.

He seems to be "annoyed" when a new window opens when he clicks a folder. If he clicks on the left plane a new window won't open. He must be clicking on the right plane ... not realizing there is a difference.

Yes. He referred to a "Window" rather than a pane. But that could easily have been his understanding of the two words.

Back