Windows 10 Newby Question W10/Word

02vito

I just downloaded Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 onto a newly purchased W10 machine. When I open Word, it appears that it is a web version that automatically saves documents to OneDrive. I have no need for this feature and would like to save my work locally. Is there a way to open Word without using the apparent Web-based version? This machine is not always web-enabled at this time.

I have another W10 machine, and its Word app does not depend on Web-availability.

Thanks!

There should be an option to save local. It will default to over drive. Also the auto save features is one drive only

in Word app, the autosave is an option that can be turned off... please post a screengrab of your version
I'm thinking your school may have set you up an account that points to their proxy i.e, on the sign in tab to the right does it show that you are signed in?
Screenshot (3118).png

Thank you both for your help. I am able now to save docs locally. The larger problem, which I should have better described, is that it appears this version of Word is web-only. If the machine is not connected to the web, I cannot get Word to open. I get a prompt saying that I must restore my web connection. I need to use Office/Word whether or not the machine is web connected. Do I have the wrong version of Office?

Does it open in a web browser? If it does then that is the Office Online and you'd want to download the desktop version of the software. If you're licensed for Office 365 Home then you should be able to download the stand-alone software.

Yes, it does open in a web browser. I will look into the desktop version. Interesting that I see nowhere in the description that it is an online version. Thanks.

@02vito, in that case, you may need to contact Microsoft Support. I'm not sure they aren't considered different subscriptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I contacted M'Soft online support and opened a chat session. The problem turned out to be that I was not giving Office sufficient time to load. It ended taking more than 2 hours. The prompt on the "loading" panel suggested that the download should only take a few moments, and that was the source of my confusion. When my original download attempt had not completed after a half-hour or so, I gave up.

Another source of confusion for me was that evidently the machine came loaded with Office Online. I had not noticed this and thought I had downloaded it.

Thanks to all who provided help and advice.

Back