Windows 10 News... if anyone cares

Damn.... I was hoping for tomorrow.
Gabe just tweeted no news on new PC Build "today".
Which of course I took as, tomorrow, for sure then. :)
But since he's said in the past that build releases on a Friday would be "never", "rare", "seldom", except once.....
You're probably right.

I think the last news was kinda that they have some builds they are looking at releasing but it won't be this week.

Did anyone ever consider the release of the builds is a game for those involved in the release. I bet they have an office pool for how long it takes the first download to start, after being released...

They may be delaying a build because it will be the last one prior to the RTM and they want to polish it OR they found some problems in 10147 they did not expect.

I am guessing they have to lock down the RTM in about two weeks or so.

The feedback already given - it runs into many thousands, covers all aspects of the forthcoming system. At this point, it would be futile to even go to the trouble of submitting it.
IMHO, they had , at the beginning, to find a buffer for the complaints. Gabe was chosen. I get a powerful impression that he is being fed, albeit at a higher level, in the same manner that we are, ie.. he knows little over what is passed on to him. This could explain the constant distortion in updated news and backtracks to correct wrong news.
It is now, superfluous, to consider builds as progress. That has already been accomplished in the RTM, which is , as we speak, being "debugged".
Any builds now , delivered to we peasants, will only be sops to keep us happy, and will have no bearing on the final product. And yes, for these reasons, the RTM has , already, been "locked down".

Just my opinion.

My problem was with the process, not one person chosen to be a scape goat. It makes no difference as to who or what was responsible for the information disseminated, it just matters the information was not made available to the Insiders and the responsibility falls on Microsoft.

When I say locked down, I mean ready to be RTM. If it is still being debugged it is not at that stage. If they have finished debugging it, then why would it be hard to make a decision as to which build to release to the Insiders .. but as you say, discussing it is fruitless.

There is no way to know for sure if Microsoft altered their plans for releasing a final build to the Insiders after Gabe's original statement. If we are seeing a delay in releasing the final official build, it may be related to that.

the RTM has , already, been "locked down".
I certainly hope so.
Historically the "RTM" has always come, weeks before the "GA" (General Availability) release which is still, as far as I know July 29th.
That would suggest that the "RTM" (where Dell and HP and those bunch get it) would be practically any day now.
Unless they are no longer going to distinguish between the two build designations.

Two questions, first, is there a difference between what might be released to the OEMs and what might be released for manufacturing DVDs for the GA.

Secondly, isn't there normally an announcement when the RTM occurs? If there is normally such an announcement, I would consider Windows 10 to still be a "work in progress" until that event actually happens. The OEMs probably already have a build close enough to being finished they can set up configurations for their systems.

I wish I had more knowledge regarding these type of events, but I don't, so I can only speculate.

is there a difference between what might be released to the OEMs and what might be released for manufacturing DVDs for the GA.
I suspect in the past that there may have been continuing work between the RTM and the GA release dates but I wouldn't think anything drastic would be performed, that couldn't be handled through the normal Windows Update channel.
isn't there normally an announcement when the RTM occurs?
Yes generally there is. At least a general acknowledgement that it has occurred and that OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.,) have it in hand, as well as availability through MSDN and the now defunct TechNet subscriptions.

This go round seems to have blurred the distinction between the two releases, to the point that I'm not clear, if there is or will be a difference, although I would think that it will still be the case.
I'm kinda hoping that we'll hear something from out MVP members who will likely benefit from any "early warning".

Thanks Dave.... good to know and very much appreciated.
Now back to the thread topic.
The Upgrade install to build 10149 went very well on my windows phone although it did take a very long time.
This is a much better build than the previous 10080 that I had been running and seems a great deal more responsive.
Nice flashlight app built in, no need for third party app.
The only shortcoming seems to still be a high battery demand, which has been the case throughout these Insider Previews for Phone.
Hopefully that will be improved at some point along the line.
Overall pretty decent improvement.

I'm kinda hoping that we'll hear something from out MVP members who will likely benefit from any "early warning".
Unless we are covered by an NDA which we often are although a whisper here and there never hurt.... ;)

And now there is some more information about Build 10154 being release "to partners" whatever that means so I would suspect that something is in the offing pretty soon. I can't seem to find any actual leaks available yet except for the release notes regarding it which I found in a few different places.
http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-build-10154-release-notes-leaked/
just scroll down a bit in that link if you're interested at all.
So hopefully we "INSIDERS" will get something new to play with, sometime soon or we'll likely be looking for other resources to actually find out what's going on with a product that we are suppose to be "testing" and providing "feedback" on.
Disappointed!

I have seen some posts suggesting the RTM will be July 12th. See, no more NDA... ;)

There isn't a great deal of opportunity to get advanced knowledge, through MVP sources. I don't recall it happening on earlier OSs, but maybe Ross will be able to confirm that. It sometimes comes early, though, through the MSDN sub downloads. No NDA there, thank goodness.
I am hoping (very small hope) that someone in the local MS will send out some "breaking news"

Back