Windows 7 no audio devices are detected!

elec1

HELP!!!! Why doesn't Win7 detect my onboard Realtek ALC662 sound chip. Can't install drivers because OS doesn't see chip. Can't figure this out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

This is interesting. It should detect the chipset if it is properly placed. What computer and specs do you have?

I have a Biostar P4M900-M7 FE mainboard, Intel PD 940 3.2ghz,
3 gig Crucial DDR2-667, 250 Seagate Barracuda 7200, Nvidia GeForce
7600 GS. Win7x64.

i have a similar problem...
i have an ASUS P5P800 SE with built-in SoundMAX audio.
according to Device Manager everything is "Working Properly"
but i get no sound out of any audio/video program and i get an error WMP11 pointing to the audio drivers.

Sounds like you are having a driver issue where you just have to locate or wait for the right drivers to appear, perhaps from Asus.
My issue is that win7x64 does not even SEE the audio chip, so I have no chance of installing drivers!

checked setup to see if the onboard sound (can't remember if it's northbridge or southbridge) is activated?

Did you go into control panel>sounds>playback, then select a sound card and hit the "Set Default" button ?? This is what I had to do, and it worked perfectly once my sound card was selected to be the default.

Can't do that. the message in "sounds" is: no audio devices are detected. Also, I don't see any option to activate audio in bios setup.

I have an Asus mainboard and a American Megatrends setup utility with an Intel 945 chipset. With my setup it's advanced>chipset>southbridge>hd audio controller:enable or disable. Also make sure the PnP option isn't enabled in PciPnP so the soundcard is reading from the bios and not the o/s.

Sounds like a driver problem. You might want to take a look at your ASUS motherboard driver installation disk, It may have a sound card driver that will work if it's installed. You may have to run it in a compatibility XP or Vista mode, and that MIGHT work, no guarantees as every computer is different. Remember if it doesn't work right, you can restore your OS to an earlier time using Windows restore function.

Proceed at your own risk !!

This issue is resolved. After talking to Biostar tech support, I learned that this is a known issue. This issue is caused by introducing a Nvidia graphics card to the system. It causes the audio chip to disapper! After updating BIOS, issue was resolved.

i have a similar problem...
i have an ASUS P5P800 SE with built-in SoundMAX audio.
according to Device Manager everything is "Working Properly"
but i get no sound out of any audio/video program and i get an error WMP11 pointing to the audio drivers.

I have the same board as you and am having the same problem with the sound. SOmething interesting though, if I use usb headphones, I hear the sound through the headphones. Take the headphones off- NO sound whatsoever.

i figured out how to fix it.
after doing quite a bit of searching online i came across a site that walked me through changing my drivers.

what i did:
download the current drivers from manufaturer
go to device manager
click on the + for sound
right click on the sound card and uninstall (be sure to check the box to delete the drivers)
restart the computer
after the restart, install the current drivers for the soundcard

it will use the current drivers instead of those installed with Win 7 (since you deleted the win7 drivers)
should be working now.

here is the link of the site i used to fix the problem:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I will give it a shot tonight when I get home. It looks promising!

i figured out how to fix it.
after doing quite a bit of searching online i came across a site that walked me through changing my drivers.

what i did:
download the current drivers from manufaturer
go to device manager
click on the + for sound
right click on the sound card and uninstall (be sure to check the box to delete the drivers)
restart the computer
after the restart, install the current drivers for the soundcard

it will use the current drivers instead of those installed with Win 7 (since you deleted the win7 drivers)
should be working now.

here is the link of the site i used to fix the problem:
Update: Fix your sound issues in Windows Vista | Vista Rewired

Soundmax ad1888 driver problem solved!!

HI !! You all must be having problem that windows 7 is not detecting soundmax driver on asus board. On installing from cd that came with motherboard it says OPERATING SYSTEM NOT SUPPORTED!! :mad:
So the solution for this problem is.:D
Download this zipfile from the link Link Removed - Invalid URL

Extract the contents.

Findsetup.exe in it. Now, right click on the setup and choose option Troubleshoot compatibilty.

It will detect issues and search programs and you will be presented with a set of options.

Choose option it ran with previous versions and also choose need special permissions.
click next . And your setup should start.
Let the driver install . restart when prompted and done enjoy music on you system.:cool:

You may for first time get a Notification No ADI codec driver found.. Just click ok everything is fine.
IMPORTANT. do not try to upgrade the driver from device manager or it will again return to No sound condition.:eek:

Meathod one worked perfectly for me. However all I have working is 2.1 audio. But that is good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom