Windows 7 "No connections are available"

JohnBMW

Hello. My Windows 7 computer as of 2 days ago has not been able to connect to any wireless network. I got this computer about a month or so ago, so I'm really wondering why it's happening so soon... When I click the Network Connections button in the taskbar, it says "Not connected / No connections are available," and even when I go through Troubleshoot, it turns up with nothing. Other solutions I've attempted, such as restarting the computer, restarting the router/modem, going through cmd, and removing the battery (it's a laptop), have been unsuccessful.

How can I fix this? - If my question isn't detailed enough or if you have any questions, go ahead and tell me.

Thank you

EDIT: I have a Dell Inspiron INSP1440
Pentium Dual-Core CPU, T4300 @ 2.10GHz, 2.10 GHz

Last edited:
JohnBMW:
Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum. First I would advise checking the manufacturer's website (you don't mention the adapter mfg, model, or version info) and see if there is a recent driver update for your particular version of Windows 7 ( you don't mention either if you are using 64 or 32 bit Win7) this is why filling out your system specs in your profile is important and why I keep asking people to please do it. Please don't embed them in a post of attach them to a file unless specifically asked. That is what your membership profile area is for. Anyway after downloading the latest drivers, try going to device manager and find your wireless adapter, right click and uninstall it, when prompted check the box that says remove driver also. Reboot your machine install the latest drivers and see if that helps.

I have a Dell Inspiron INSP1440
Pentium Dual-Core CPU, T4300 @ 2.10GHz, 2.10 GHz

Thanks. Are these supposed to be SATA drivers? (Sorry, I'm not that tech-knowledgeable)

I enjoy helping members here on the forum, and I would very much like to help you. But first I need your help. Fill out your systems specs in your profile page. Go to top of this page and click settings, on the resultant page on the left click the edit profile button. Your Dell computer has potentially 7 to 9 drivers that support Windows 7 but it depends on your version as I explained in my first post. Also it would be very helpful if you could go into device manager and determine the manufacturer of your Network Adapter. I can appreciate that fact that you are "not that tech-knowledgeable" all of us have had to start somewhere so let's get started

You are right on Trouble.

I've been posting to the OP to list their specs in the UserCP .Now that is located in the settings. Thanks for the reminder.

And it is very helpful

OK, well at the risk of sounding like a Nigerian Prince asking for your bank account numbers so I can transfer some ridiculously large amount of cash to you, would you mind sharing whether you are running Windows 7 64 or 32 bit and which version as in RTM Ultimate or RC 7100?

Go here read everything on the page, compatibility and installation instructions, etc. Download the file and follow the instructions you just read.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

So what do I do after it installs? I tried rebooting the computer after it was done, but I still cannot connect to the Internet... :/

What type of device is the wireless card attempting to connect to. Wireless router, manufacturer, model name and or number, version number

OK, well that's my least favorite router, as a matter of fact I have one in a drawer if you'd like another. They will work, but poorly, that's why I abandoned mine. So given that, the first couple things you need to do is get as close to it as possible, and temporarily turn off wireless encryption. Proximity to the device is a killer and encryption seems to make it twice as bad. Then, based on the version number (on a label on the bottom) check with Linksys for a firmware update, I did mine and it did help a little. And by the way, have you tried a wired connection to the linksys just to make sure that it's only the wireless we're dealing with, because I know the WAN port on those can and sometime do start to act up and go bad.

OK, well that's my least favorite router, as a matter of fact I have one in a drawer if you'd like another. They will work, but poorly, that's why I abandoned mine. So given that, the first couple things you need to do is get as close to it as possible, and temporarily turn off wireless encryption. Proximity to the device is a killer and encryption seems to make it twice as bad. Then, based on the version number (on a label on the bottom) check with Linksys for a firmware update, I did mine and it did help a little. And by the way, have you tried a wired connection to the linksys just to make sure that it's only the wireless we're dealing with, because I know the WAN port on those can and sometime do start to act up and go bad.

I don't think the uninstalling thing works..

I don't think the uninstalling thing works..

You quoted my post in your's and then commented that you don't think the uninstalling thing works. I've reread my post and I don't believe there's any mention of any uninstalling thing in there. First did you try any thing in my post, like upgrading the firmware of the router or disabling encryption, trying to get the computer closer to the router (proximity) and did you try a wired connection to make sure that your computer is otherwise capable of networking and it's just the wireless connection problem we need to address. And finally, if you're talking about Drew's suggestion, I think if you follow it and give it a try, it probably won't hurt and might suprise you.

Last edited:
Back