Windows 10 No Edge-icon in pdf-contextmenu !

Bassie

Extraordinary Member
The Edge-icon is missing in the pdf-contextmenu , it should be next to ( Open with) Microsoft Edge .
After the upgrade to 2004 its still gone ............how to repair , any idea ? Its a white spot now , how to get this icon back again...........
no Edge-icon in contextmenu.jpg

You'd have to look in the registry.

Under HKCR:\.pdf\openwithprogid
Look for an entry like appx....
Then look for that under HKCR:\ and expand that entry and look under Application > ApplicationIcon
That would be the path to the image used for the icon

" Look for an entry like appx....".....this key is present , on the right ; AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723 ( binary , length =0)
This key shows under Application , several keys ( right-site) ,ApplicationIcon,Description,Name,AppUser.
Under Application it shows; DefaultIcon , and right of this key ; ( Standard) @{Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.19041.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge/Files/Assets/MicrosoftEdgePDF.png}

Is this ok , or is something missing.........??

Yeah, but you may need to go see if the image actually exists. From a powershell prompt you can fin the install location like so

Get-AppxPackage -Name *Edge* | select InstallLocation

You'll need to go there and look under Assests for the MicrosoftEdgePDF.png image

" MicrosoftEdgePDF.png image "...........yes, but there are a lots of them in this Assets-folder !
Which one , should I look for ?
HardCopy0001.png
HardCopy0001.png

Attachments

• HardCopy0002.png
    HardCopy0002.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 109
@{Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.19041.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge/Files/Assets/MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.png} .........this is mine , just can not find this file in the Assets-folder !!
HOW to get this file ??

I believe they do something to intelligently select the right size file. There should be a bunch with .target at the end of the files

I just dont have the "44x44" option , its only "16x16 , 32x32, 48x48 " .....so they dont "fit" !
How to get the 44x44-file ??

You can try a repair or reset.

• Press [windows key + i]
  • Apps
  • Locate 'Microsoft Edge' and select it
  • Go to 'Advanced Options' and try the repair and/or reset

" You can try a repair or reset."..............tried , nothing changed !!
Could it be a permissions-question ??

Last edited:
If you can view the content of that directory then no. You could try resetting explorer's thumbnail cache

" try resetting explorer's thumbnail cache ".........will do this.
I had to change owner of the Assets-folder , owner TrustedInstaller to Administrator ............is it a problem ?

" an idea to install the new Edge "..........so I did , in VM .
After installing new Edge , next to the Legacy Edge , I got two 'open with" options ; Edge ( with no icon= the problem !)
and second ; new Edge with icon !
I could open the pdf-files with both Edges ( old and the new )...........

Ja, fijne dag !
De nieuwe Edge wordt heel anders geinstalleerd , gewoon in de program files , dus kan niet vergelijken met een "app" als de oude Edge !

Looks like there are troubles with the path to the icon , its shown in ; ( key) Application ApplicationIcon; @{Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.19041.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge/Files/Assets/MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44.png} ..............the question is ; why (?) does this png-file not showup in contextmenu , next to Microsoft Edge ( please, have a look at the picture ,previous posts !)

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, and as I see it on my system, the new Edge should take over the old one completely, you should not get the choise between the old and the new one.
What is going on there?

Before installing the new Edge , you can choose for installing " side by side " , this means ; you can use them both still .
When I install the new Edge Im able to remove the old Edge contextmenu-item , the new one ( with icon !) remains ..........

Back
Top Bottom