Windows 7 No games are running smoothly :(

Randor

PC spec
Intel dual 2 Quad 2.33ghz
4mb ram
500gig hard drive
1gig geforce 8500gt
windows 7 64bit home premium

I have directx 10 and the latest nvidia drivers. All my games are slow and choppy an i cant realy play them. The system is brand new as well, not sure if its a setting i may have missed or a driver. Desperate to play but kinda frustrated right now. Would be over the moon if anyone kows where ive gone wrong, the games installation folder is the Program files (x86) and not the plain Program files.
Thanks all

It really does depend on the games you play, considering the 8500 is frankly barely just entry level for new games.

Ok I really know nothing about computers so be easy on me :)
BTW this forum owns.

Anyway what is this 8500 gig force or whatever????

Is it a video card?, Also this may not be the right thread. But how can I find out what type of video card I have on win 7?

Its an Nvidia gefoce 8500 model (which is basically a budget model from a range that is now nearly 3 generations old) with 1gig onboard memory, this can often be replaced with better models but you would need to check with the motherboard manual to see what specifically is compatible in terms of the slot (PCI-Express 16x usually) and power requirements will be based on the output wattage and connectors on the PSU (Powersupply inside the case).

As for the games being in program files x86, this is where windows natively stores 32bit applications if you have 64bit Windows, don't worry this is normal.

Last edited:
Are these online games that may be slowed by a bad connection ? If not, it's probably graphics card drivers. There are some links in my tagline for identifying problems and network solutions.

Tried to play assasins creed which ran fine on XP, Dragon Age:Origins, Tombraider Underworld. All graphics drivers are the latest as well as directx 11. Even my world of warcraft frames dropped by half.

Try running msconfig and turning off all programs that are running... probably a firwall problem.

TBlout I noticed on your Win7 speed link that your saying "Windows installs in about half the time from USB... even the cheap ones read about 25 kb/s ...while dvd reads about 5 kb/s"

Not quite sure where ya got those figures from...lol below is the real speeds of DVD/CD

1x CDROM read speed is 150kb a second
1x DVD read speed is 1.32mb a second
USB 2.0 Flashdrive can be anything from 1mb (1024kb) a second to 30mb a second (completely down to the quality) with a maximum 60mb interface limit.

I'd guess these days a 12x DVD is the minimum most people would have so thats 15.8 MB a second, not 5KBs which would be 300kb a minute...lol at that speed it would take roughly 15 hours to install Windows 7's 3gig. it'll be interesting to see what happens when USB 3 becomes mainstream and the flashdrives speeds catchup...although obviously SSD HD would likely be real winners there.

Last edited:
TBlout I noticed on your Win7 speed link that your saying "Windows installs in about half the time from USB... even the cheap ones read about 25 kb/s ...while dvd reads about 5 kb/s"

Not quite sure where ya got those figures from...lol below is the real speeds of DVD/CD

1x CDROM read speed is 150kb a second
1x DVD read speed is 1.32mb a second
USB 2.0 Flashdrive can be anything from 1mb (1024kb) a second to 30mb a second (completely down to the quality) with a maximum 60mb interface limit.

I'll have to take that out. I may be incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out. All I can be sure of is that I can boot to usb much much faster, maybe half the time as it takes to boot to dvd. Can you test it? It's easy to make an emergency boot disk then copy all the files to dvd, you onln need 4 files on the usb to make it boot. You can probably copy the entire disk before you can create the folders and select the 4 files that are needed and put them in the right place.

my oppinion is: until now it has no game was desighed for WIN 7 , all are the old games ,
the new OS needs the new games for it, the old games dont know anything about new OS , they dont understand and dont know how to run smoothly in WIN 7 :D

I'll have to take that out. I may be incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out. All I can be sure of is that I can boot to usb much much faster, maybe half the time as it takes to boot to dvd. Can you test it?

Yea I've done several installs using USB sticks..sadly my USb drive isn't as fast as a DVD, as it wasn't fast enough to use for readyboost (well £6 for 4gig 3 years ago it's bound to be slow).

my oppinion is: until now it has no game was desighed for WIN 7 , all are the old games ,
the new OS needs the new games for it, the old games dont know anything about new OS , they dont understand and dont know how to run smoothly in WIN 7 :D

Anything that uses DX11 (even if it's mere cosmetically) is for Windows 7 (Vista only got Dx11 as a patch so don't whine about that either)....so thats DIRT2 so far....ummm and that freebie strategy one...ummm cant recall name.

Problems 2

i cant play CoD 2 , 4 in multiplayer mod ..... the .exe file stop running says the computer...... can only play in singel mod ???????

PC spec
Intel dual 2 Quad 2.33ghz
4mb ram
500gig hard drive
1gig geforce 8500gt
windows 7 64bit home premium

I have directx 10 and the latest nvidia drivers. All my games are slow and choppy an i cant realy play them. The system is brand new as well, not sure if its a setting i may have missed or a driver. Desperate to play but kinda frustrated right now. Would be over the moon if anyone kows where ive gone wrong, the games installation folder is the Program files (x86) and not the plain Program files.
Thanks all

Randor, is your system Bios the latest version? This is an easy thing to miss when building a new system as motherboards don't always arrive with the latest Bios...

2 Stefan and Randor

For Windows 7 you have to set the Windows XP SP2/3 Compatibility Mode for older games if they won't work,install the latest DirectX 9,then a lil' bit changing the registry (In registry editor- regedit, then you'll go to > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENTVERSION/Multimedia/SystemProfile/, NetworkThrottling put on heksadecimal ffffffff (the current state is 10 or hex - a) and that should free the bandwidth while you're playing) and you must also shut down the bandwidth reserved for updates, then you'll be able to play CoD2,4 online and WoW also...

@ highwayman & tblount please stay on topic or start your own post about your problem

to the OP at what resolution are you trying to play your games

low end graphics cards = LOW resolution game play (1280x1024 or lower) worst settings 2xaa 4xaf ??
mid end graphics cards = HIGH resolution game play (1600x1200 or lower) better settings 4xaa 8xaf
high end graphics cards = HIGHEST resolution game play (1600x1200 or higher) best settings 4xaa+ 16xaf

so you have whats classed as an LOW end graphics card maybe try lowering your game play resolution untill you get better FPS (frames per second) more fps = smoother game play

so you have whats classed as an LOW end graphics card maybe try lowering your game play resolution untill you get better FPS (frames per second) more fps = smoother game play

LOL your just repeating what I said in the very first response, that a 8500 is essentially bottom end card... talk about pot n kettle

Back
Top Bottom