Windows 7 No internet access, until i disable and enable.

ttv

My computer is apart of my home network, and my Ethernet cable runs from this computer to the one next room, and it's plugged into the portal, which is connected to the modem.

everytime i turn my computer on it says "no internet access"
then i go into device manager, disable the adapter, and then enable, and then 30 seconds later my internet works again. and it's fine (until i turn it off and turn it back on)

i've been doing this disable/enable thing for 3 weeks now and its getting annoying.

can anyone help?

I'm having this exact same problem on 2 brand new dell computers. Anyone have any luck?

My computer is apart of my home network, and my Ethernet cable runs from this computer to the one next room, and it's plugged into the portal, which is connected to the modem.

everytime i turn my computer on it says "no internet access"
then i go into device manager, disable the adapter, and then enable, and then 30 seconds later my internet works again. and it's fine (until i turn it off and turn it back on)

i've been doing this disable/enable thing for 3 weeks now and its getting annoying.

can anyone help?

I'm having this exact same problem on 2 brand new dell computers. Anyone have any luck?

Wow, where to start???
For both of you, attempt to determine the manufacturer and model number of your particular ethernet adapter and contact the manufacturer's website or as an alternative the computer manufacturer's website and see if they have a more recent driver for that adapter than the one you are using.
Also check the manufacturer of you router and see if they have a updated firmware revision for that device, in the case of an ISP provided device like a 2Wire Portal, check with you ISP. Sometime IPv6 will cause a problem, you can just try unchecking it and see what happens, doesn't cost anything.
And more specifically jmahoney:
If these are in fact "2 brand new dell computers" then I would be jumping all over Dell to make it right.
Keep us posted.
Randy

We've already contacted dell, had them come and replace the MoBo (because they believed that the onboard NIC was faulty). But the problem still persists. I've gone to the intel website, installed the latest drivers, disabled ipv6, gave it static IP and dns information. The firmware on the switches is up to date, our jupiter firewall is up to date, and we just replaced one of our 2 modems.

Our network setup is Modem -> Firewall -> Server -> Switches -> User

I've done everything I can think of, it's not that I'm unsure to what I'm doing. It's just quite frankly it makes no sense.

What happens is when I turn my computer on, the network adapter displays 'Connected to Network 2' local access only blahblah
I disable/enable, and then it says Connected to Network, and works.

The other computer is the same, but it says network 3 and 2 respectively.

Okay since I assume that everything works just fine once you've jumped through those particular hoops. I can only suggest that you watch your switch port light activity (the port connected to this particular computer) when the computer is booting. I can tell you that I had the exact same problem back in the early XP days, with a Cisco 2924 switch, believe it or not the XP machine would boot, and load all the networking components before the port on the Cisco had turned from amber to green. I would have thought, that on most current motherboard configurations that the LAN card would stay hot, unless completely robbed of power like unplugging it from the wall. Other than that, I got nuthin, maybe someone else here will share their insight.

Fixed.

I checked all the drivers and they were the newest.
But I have 2 versions of photoshop on my computer and I un-installed Photoshop CS4 and it works now.
So I don't know what it was, I'm just glad its gone.

Thanks for posting back, good to know you figured it out. Certain versions of Adobe products install a version of the Bonjour/mdnsresponder and it will show up in the services.msc console as a peculiar string near or at the top, with a bunch of numbers like a GUID, usually stopping this service and setting it to disable will generally work, but uninstalling works too.

Thank-you.

It was nice too know what was causing so i can avoid it if it happens with any other adobe products.
But since photoshop CS4 as no longer needed i just un-installed.

thank-you.

Yes. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I keep forgetting about the peculiar string for Bonjour/mdnsresponder in services.msc. I had the same problem AGAIN this week. Dell replaced the mobo in another machine a couple weeks ago due to this issue (now that I make the connection!). Thanks!

Michael

Thanks for posting back, good to know you figured it out. Certain versions of Adobe products install a version of the Bonjour/mdnsresponder and it will show up in the services.msc console as a peculiar string near or at the top, with a bunch of numbers like a GUID, usually stopping this service and setting it to disable will generally work, but uninstalling works too.

Back
Top Bottom