Windows 7 No programs will open on my Computer.

reghakr

Essential Member
I can no longer open any programs at all on main account on my computer.

Yes, reghkr screed up the registry.

I was working on a poster's problem regarding only allowing certain applications to run.

I created the correct registry keys and placed notepad and regedit in the list.

I tested it on that account and it worked fine. No other programs would start, which is exactly what I wanted.

I go back to my main acount and try to execute anything, and I'm presented with the dreaded "This programhas been disabled by your administrator".

I made the change under the other user's account in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch

Remote Registry is disabled in my account a well.

I have an .,inf file todelete allpolicies, but when I choose Insatll, I get the same message above.

I need help badly

Last edited:
Did you back up the registry, did you try system restore already ?

Can you access regedit and GPEDIT.MSC ?

I can no longer open any programs at all on main account on my computer.

Yes, reghkr screed up the registry.

I was working on a poster's problem regarding only allowing certain applications to run.

I created the correct registry keys and placed notepad and regedit in the list.

I tested it on that account and it worked fine. No other programs would start, which is exactly what I wanted.

I go back to my main acount and try to execute anything, and I'm presented with the dreaded "This programhas been disabled by your administrator".

I made the change under the other user's account in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch

Remote Registry is disabled in my account a well.

I have an .,inf file todelete allpolicies, but when I choose Insatll, I get the same message above.

I need help badly
Do you have a complete recent image backup, personally I do full backups weekly. I keep three weeks worth of backups at all times.

Cybercore.

I didn't back up the registry on my main acccount because I was working on the test account, which is what I am using right know to post this message. I verified the registry hack worked OK, then logged off ad logged into my main account and that when the restrictions error started to occur everywhere.

System Restore won't work, says it can't start. No Control Panel items open

Can you access regedit and GPEDIT.MSC

No,neither

Tell me which HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch(s) do you need, so we can try to restore it manually ?

I'm not sure whay tyou mean by this?

The branch of the registry where the policies are located is here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

I have no Images of the drive.

The only programs that execute are on my right-click context menu. When I choose edit on the .,inf file I created for removing all policies I do not have the option to install, just edit. If I could only change the default t install rather than edit, I could get out of this mess.

I tried copying regedit.exe tothe desktop and renamre it csrss.exe which always runs at startup...........no luck.

In all my yars I have never seen or done anything like this before.

Last edited:
I've never had to do this before, but does anyone know the procedure for using the backup registry under c:\Windows\System32\config?

Try booting to safe mode. Maybe it will let you do a system restore from there. Or try booting to your install disk and system restore from there.

Good luck.

I can't bootinto Safe Mode. I have this crazy multuimedia keyboard where the Functions keys are all mapped to different items.

I don't have any other keyboards that work.

Thanks anyway.

Do you havppen to know how to restore an old registry in the c:\windows\system32\config directory?

I can't bootinto Safe Mode. I have this crazy multuimedia keyboard where the Functions keys are all mapped to different items.

I don't have any other keyboards that work.

Thanks anyway.

Do you havppen to know how to restore an old registry in the c:\windows\system32\config directory?

There is an option under boot in msconfig to boot into safe mode. Just make sure your uncheck it again when your done. I think its worth a shot. Unless you mean your keyboard is not recognised in safe mode.

Not sure how to restore an old registry as you have asked, only ever had to do it once and I did it with system restore.

I've got it fixed, however I losts ome info. I put in the Windows 7 DVD and went to a command prompt. First I tried to rename ithe Default, SAM, Software, System, to .old files, then I changed directory to regback and copied back those files to c:\windows\system32\configResrated and it wanted to do a repair. It completed , restarted again and wanted to do a restore.That finally worked but I lost my other account and my dual-boot Vista installation.Now I'm having trouble with the keyboard working again (POS)I'll probably run to walmart to pick up another one.Thanks for trying to help guys, really apprecuate it.

Last edited:
Back