Windows Vista no sound after first vista update (hp pavilion dv2000 notebook)

fab54

Hi everyone!
I desperately need your help!
A week ago I bought a laptop (hp pavilion dv2530ea with Windows vista).
The first time I used it EVERYTHING worked fine! (including the sound)
After connecting it to the internet, downloading and installing the new updates the sound stopped working.
Although the device manager claims the device is working properly, it isn't
I've tried evrything but nothing works.
(I spent the last 3 days surfing the web and reading threads and I noticed that few people have a sound pbm but I didn't find the solution)

When I try to test the sound I get the message "Failed to play the test tone"
and when I try to play a file using wmp i get "wmp encountered a problem while playing the file..." and the error code is C00D11B1

Please need your help!!
I'm desperate.
Thanks

Sounds like an easy fix. If the device manager says its working fine and theres no yellow question or exclimation marks then just uninstall the drivers, turn the computer off and back on and let it install itself, check the device and if its not working right use the drivers and software CD that came with your laptop and just use those sound drivers. MS has never really been good with updating hardware drivers and stuff, atleast in my experience.

-josh_rain

Sounds like an easy fix. If the device manager says its working fine and theres no yellow question or exclimation marks then just uninstall the drivers, turn the computer off and back on and let it install itself, check the device and if its not working right use the drivers and software CD that came with your laptop and just use those sound drivers. MS has never really been good with updating hardware drivers and stuff, atleast in my experience.

-josh_rain
Thanks very much for your help. I tried uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling but it didn't work. my laptop didn't come with any CD's - it says it includes a new system recovery feature that does not require CD's or DVD's. But it tells you how to burn your own recovery discs. Do you know if I will be able to install ONLY the drivers from the recovery CD? Or will it be like reformatting the whole computer?

I have the exact same problem, I updated my software and my laptop went silent. and everytime i hovered my mouse over the sound device icon at the bottom of the screen and it says "No audio output device installed " what does that mean ???? any solutions >

you need to find out if your audio is Realtek or Sigmatel

Uninstall the drivers and software from Programs and Features.
Download the latest HD Audio if Realtek or latest drivers from Sigmatel.

This should resolve the problem. MS put out a bad audio driver update.
This affected XP also.

You might try going to the control panel and device manager. Go to the sound card. Click on it. There is a tab for driver and there is an option to roll back to previous driver. This will load the original driver back for that device. It's worth a try before going to Realtek site. ( It's a bone for downloading drivers ).

MacLynn:

You sir, are amazing. I freaked out and thought about this right as I read it from you. This works I recommend it to anyone who has this problem.

DAMN YOU WINDOWS!!!

MacLynn!

Thanks so much! You saved my laptop too. I thought my "very dear" laptop's sound broke. It was playing the songs or sound but not coming through the speakers.

Thanks again MacLynn and Google!!!!

Darn the updates!

Hello!

Exact problem I'm going through. And the suggested roll back to previous driver button is not clickable.

Anyone please HELP!!

Try going to the laptop makers website and downloading the drivers..

Re: no sound after first vista update (vaio vgn-cr320)

As uch as I love Vista, I miss the simplicity of XP
and when I search for certain solution to problems with my system (my notebook) usually suggested repairs are pertaining to XPs or anything beside Vista.

Ok now I need help, what am I supposed to do with this problem? I lost the sound of my notebook and I tried to "rool back to previous driver" and yet it's not clickable..

is it a better to reinstall my sound driver?

Thank you guys.. so so much!!

Ms. OxO

Yup, you should be able to get the driver from the laptop makers website

Hi everyone!
I desperately need your help!
A week ago I bought a laptop (hp pavilion dv2530ea with Windows vista).
The first time I used it EVERYTHING worked fine! (including the sound)
After connecting it to the internet, downloading and installing the new updates the sound stopped working.
Although the device manager claims the device is working properly, it isn't
I've tried evrything but nothing works.
(I spent the last 3 days surfing the web and reading threads and I noticed that few people have a sound pbm but I didn't find the solution)

When I try to test the sound I get the message "Failed to play the test tone"
and when I try to play a file using wmp i get "wmp encountered a problem while playing the file..." and the error code is C00D11B1

Please need your help!!
I'm desperate.
Thanks
(Hi!! I did some research, and the error code C00D11B1- fixed by a download of the Vista Codec) That is what somebody said,I can't guarantee it will work for you. There is a download available on the thread "No Audio Device Installed" in the Media, my very last entry. -Vista
Codec Package Download- Softpedia

Hello!

Exact problem I'm going through. And the suggested roll back to previous driver button is not clickable.

Anyone please HELP!!

Anyone please HELP!![/quote]

Go to device manager,right click your sound driver, press update, choose to locate files manually from computer (not online), browse for 'Windows.old' in c : , choose windows, then choose system32, then press ok. I restored my laptop sound driver this way, hope this helps.

You might try going to the control panel and device manager. Go to the sound card. Click on it. There is a tab for driver and there is an option to roll back to previous driver. This will load the original driver back for that device. It's worth a try before going to Realtek site. ( It's a bone for downloading drivers ).

Hello everyone!
I have a problem that the sound is coming from the laptops speakers, but I cannot hear from headphone or other speaker. Please help me, all the ideas will be highly appreciated.

Hi I just got mine fixed.

Go to control panel/sound and double clik on sound.

Go to drive tab and update driver. When you get driver update go for the second option. ie let me pick from the list and pick the second oldest one from the list. and install.

Back