Windows 7 No Wireless driver recognized

Tiberiu

Hi, I've just installed Windows 7 on a Gericom Phantom Series U50SA Laptop. Although I've seen W7 should install a wireless driver automatically, none appears in the device manager and the laptop can't see any wireless connections. I've tried installing a vast number of wireless drivers (realtec, intel, microsoft, all sorts) but none worked. All would return code error 31. Can anyone help?

I can't find any drivers for your wireless device that appear to be newer than Vista 2008 from here.
You may need to consider purchasing a wireless USB Dongle that is a little more current and more likely to provide Windows 7 Support. Occasionally Vista drivers may work on a Windows 7 machine but may require you to use compatibility mode during the installation.

Well, I've installed it. Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54 Mbps USB 2.0 Network adapter. But instead of code error 31, as with the others before, it now returns code error 10, device cannot be started.

Last edited:
these are the specs on the laptop from Ebay. It clearly has no way of being a Wifi useable laptop on Win7.

Bottom Case - Condition Excellent - Very little wear
Hard Drive No
Hard Drive Can / Sled / Connector Yes
Hard Drive Cover Yes
Optical Drive DVD/CDRW
Battery Yes - May need to be charged or replaced
AC Adapter Yes
Screen Yes
Inverter Yes
Screen Condition Excellent - Seems to work just fine
Screen Back Cover Yes
Video Ports Yes - VGA & S-video
Hinges Condition Excellent
Front Bezel Yes
Palmrest / Mouse Buttons Yes
Ram Yes - 1GB DDR (desktop sized RAM)
Processor Yes - Intel Celeron
Processor Speed 2.4Ghz
CPU Fan Yes
Wireless Card Present Unknown
Wireless Card Specs Unkown
Motherboard Yes
Motherboard Condition Seems to work fine – No Warranty
COA No
Keyboard Yes
Keyboard Condition Excellent - Very little wear
Other Items AC adapter

Doesn't look good with respect to the Wireless Specs.
The latest driver for your wireless card should be located here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=21&Level=4&Conn=3
Choose IEEE 802.11a/b/g
Then select MAC/BBP
Then select Software
Then check the box next to RTL8187B and click the go button.
You can try the beta 1182 package or the 1181 see if either of those help.
If not you may be stuck with purchasing a USB wireless dongle as I suggested earlier.

Doesn't look good with respect to the Wireless Specs.
The latest driver for your wireless card should be located here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=21&Level=4&Conn=3
Choose IEEE 802.11a/b/g
Then select MAC/BBP
Then select Software
Then check the box next to RTL8187B and click the go button.
You can try the beta 1182 package or the 1181 see if either of those help.
If not you may be stuck with purchasing a USB wireless dongle as I suggested earlier.

I've tried that before. I've done a lot of internet safariing myself. And I confirm what Roger Triton stated above. There's no way my laptop has any wireless capabilities on w7. Very weird.
Anyway, the laptop's fried. Out of the blue. Seems Gericom don't make 'em very good.

So, if any other poor soul comes here and asks. Gericom laptops don't work good with Windows 7.

Back