Windows 8 Not able to boot from 1 TB w8 HDD.

vsrawat

I have 1 TB HDD having w8
I have another 40GB HDD having w7.

When 1 TB HDD is selected as first hdd to boot from, it doesn't boot. There is some error message right at the start and nothing proceeds.

When 40 GB HDD is selected as first hdd to boot from, it duly proceeds to boot from w8, it shows w8/w7 boot choice, on selecting w8 (that is default also), it proceeds to boot w8. No problem. On selecting w7, it reboots and starts w7. No problem here also.

I am wondering why it goes to boot from 40 GB hdd and why can't it boot from 1 TB HDD?

How can I remedy it with EasyBCD so that it boots into w8 from 1 TB HDD.
EasyBCD shows the following
-
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 8
Timeout: 8 seconds
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 8
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {ca99d00f-2ba6-11e2-89ba-942ec86653f3}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
-

Thanks.
--
Rawat

It is most likely when you installed Windows 8, the boot files were placed on the smaller drive.

A snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window showing the graphical partition info might help. Attach using the image button.

If you want to set the system up so it boots directly to the 1 TB drive, you will have to setup that drive to do so, which would normally require setting a partition on that drive active, removing the other drive, and doing a repair install. Getting the recovery system back in place can be a real problem. If you could remove the small drive and reinstall Windows 8, that would be best.

But using the Boot Device menu to select the other drive will still probably require a reboot. You can set the boot menu to show Windows 7 as the default OS in msconfig.exe, which should allow for a Text boot menu with no rebooting to go to different OSes.

here it is. image enclosed.

c: in 1 TB is already active and all, but I guess the booting files are on 40GB drive.

How do I move them to 1 TB drive?

Attachments

• diskmgmt.jpg
    diskmgmt.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 440
When I remove 40 GB hdd, the system can't boot at all. So, I have to put it back in, so as to be able to boot in 1 TB w8.

that is the basic problem. I just want to remove this dependency on both hdds to be able to boot up. because, if 40 GB ( a 5-6 years old hdd) dies, I wudn't be able to boot into w8 even if 1 TB is working strong and has full working w8.

Thanks.

Disconnect the 40GB disk and insert your Windows 8 installation DVD.
Boot using the DVD and use Start Repair to fix a new boot record on your 1TB disk.

ok. shall do that. slightly worried whether it will work or it might destroy entire booting.

1. can't BCDEDIT or EasyBCD do it directly by "Change Bood disk"?

2. after I be able to boot only from 1 TB w8, what will happen when I connect 40 GB w7 also? does it become dual boot. or I will always be using only one hdd one os?

Thanks.

Your problem is that the boot block is located on the 40GB disk only and not on the 1TB. This is why the 1TB isn't bootable without help of the 40GB.

1. Once you have booted from the 40GB (Win 7 or Win 8) you can change default booted Windows but not default boot disk. I have not run EasyBCD since Windows 7 and don't know if it works well on Windows 8.

2. The boot block on each disk will give you the choices (Dual Boot) that is sees when building the boot block.
If only seeing Windows 8 while creating the 1TB boot block, that will be the default boot (no Dual Boot) for that disk.

With one boot block on each disk, your choices of Windows depends of what disk you set as first boot device in BIOS.
In early BIOS startup you can hit <F8> and get the boot disk choice menu where you choose 1TB or 40GB boot disk.

The current Dual Boot on the 40GB disk is not changed by temporary disconnecting it.

here it is. image enclosed.

c: in 1 TB is already active and all, but I guess the booting files are on 40GB drive.

How do I move them to 1 TB drive?
The way to get the 1 TB to boot directly is to use the bcdboot.exe command to put the boot files in the active partition on that drive.

If you are in the configuration you show on your attachment, you would need to open an Administrative command prompt and type bcdboot c:\Windows /s C: to place the boot files. Since the partition is already active you should then be able to remove the small drive and boot directly into the large one, or select it in the Boot Device menu.

But again, setting up the Recovery system can be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom