Windows 7 not enough memory

glofilter

Hi. I have Windows 7 on my desktop. The 32 bit version is installed. I also have a cad/cam program installed. I only own the 32 bit version of my cad/cam software. I am trying to do more and more complicated assemblies with the cad software, but I'm running out of memory. I have 8 gigs of ram installed, but 32 bit windows only uses half of it. My windows license would allow me to reinstall windows with 64 bit, which would allow me to use all my ram, but would 32 bit cad/cam software run on a 64 bit system? Would I be able to use all my memory with a 32 bit program?

Thanks.

Even on a 64Bit OS many programs are still 32Bit.
If the program is designed correctly it will use all the memory available even if 32Bit.
So the real answer is to go to the forum of the software you are using and ask the question.

I have 8 gigs of ram installed, but 32 bit windows only uses half of it.

This is the inherent issue with a 32 bit system. The most you will see is 3.0 - 3.5 gigs of RAM. In order to take advantage of the 8 gigs of RAM you will need a 64 bit OS. There's no way around this.

Yes....32 bit software will run on a 64 bit OS. Here's a sweet example....most browsers (99%) are all 32 bit. Depending on the actual software specs as to how much RAM is need and will use should be listed somewhere on the software itself, the documentation for it.

Back