Windows 7 Not recognizing my optical drives

Pandaz3

Extraordinary Member
Let ask the question and then give the back ground....

I am using Vista HP 64, I have two Lite-On DVD Burners, a LH-20A1H and a SHW-160P6S. They are recognized in the BIOS and in Vista's Device Manager. Device Manager say they are "Code 39" that windows cannot load a driver, when I try to push the 'Find a solution' button ... it does not find one. Can you help me out here?

Now the history. I was originally using a abit Fatal1ty AN8 (Nforce 4 Ultra) board, with a 185 Opteron and 2 Gig of Ram. I had a trial copy of XP64 on it but it expired and when I went to buy a copy of XP64 I was told there would be a delay and Vista HP 64 was cheaper, so I installed the Vista as a fresh OS and all was peachy except it was slow even with 2 gig of Ram. I bought a new MSI K9A2 CF board which employs the 790X chip-set, 4 Gig (2 X 2) of AData PC6400 Ram and a new 6400+ Black Edition CPU. I decided to put those components in this computer. It went rather well. Vista recognized and morphed around, but did ask me to re-activate, I did and all was well. the Optical drives worked. I had to spend a few days on the road. I left the computer on doing a "Folding" project. Three days later the computer was off. It would not power up, post, or boot.

I troubleshooted to the worst of my ability ... and eventually had the motherboard out of the case and on a box using different Ram sticks in different slots.

Bingo ! Shazamm ! Viola ! It posted! All was going to be well again! but what of the Smell? and the strange flickering light? Oh that.. That just because there are flames coming out of my new Motherboard! Quickly I turn off the power, if turning off the power was an Olympic event, I'd be a Gold Medal winner for sure.

The damage was done. Two crispy IC's of some description met a fiery end. The Motherboard was now, officially, Toast! ( A note ... the MSI USA website indicated that this board was compatible with the 6400 CPU, but the MSI Global website said no to any 125W CPU. I should have read the Global site)

Well while that board is going thru the RMA process.. I bought a new MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard with the 790FX chip-set and a quite different design (MSI USA and Global both agree it can handle a 6400 CPU)

So all together and running, but no drives. I need the optical drive to update the BIOS (I do have a Floppy, but the file is too big with a bootable floppy). I just now thought of the thumb drive and maybe that would work.

I intend to morph this HDD back with the cheaper board when the board comes back from RMA and put my new Vista 64 Ultimate on this machine., but for now I just want my Optical drives back.

Have you tried going the Lie-On site and checking the firmware updates? Lite-On are also really easy to flash as well..

Thats the first thing I do when I get a new drive is flash it.
I had to reactivate XP one time after a flash..MS said my hardware configuration had changed significantly and I had to reactivate.:rolleyes:

Have you tried going the Lie-On site and checking the firmware updates? Lite-On are also really easy to flash as well..

I have not, I did chage to a Phillips Sata, but had the same problem displayed in Bios but not Vista.

I will check the Phillips site.

Thats the first thing I do when I get a new drive is flash it.
I had to reactivate XP one time after a flash..MS said my hardware configuration had changed significantly and I had to reactivate.:rolleyes:

And the Problems with the "Little" K9A2 were not yet over. When I sent in the board I had no other AM2 CPU available to test it and I knew now that the 6400+ was not a good plan for that board. I ordered a new 5000+ to have it on hand when it got back. The board came back unrepaired because it posted burnt mosfets and all! I could hardly believe that, but when I put the 5000+ in there, It did post! But it had been weakened by the fire and when I hooked up a hard drive and tried to boot an adjacent set of Mosfets started smoking. Back goes the board, but it is rapidly returned to me. Repaired and ready to go, very same board by serial number. A quality repair. It now runs like a champ Overall I understand what MSI did and why and I am pretty happy with their responsiveness. (Unfortunate I needed it of course)

on another note I did just check with the Phillips site and downloaded a little utility and then the firmware update for my DVD Burner. Worked great, and works great too. :)

Back