Windows 7 Nvidia 8600M GS driver issues

Tazz

I have an Nvidia 8600M GS video card in my laptop. I am very aware of the issues that this card has, but don't believe what I am experiencing is that problem.

I installed Win7 - 32 bit (Ver 6.1.7600 build 7600) on my laptop, brand new install on a brand new HD. The install goes just fine, and Windows installs a generic video driver. I found the appropriate driver to install for the Nvidia card, dl'd it and installed and rebooted the computer. After the Win7 splash screen, the screen goes black, and I get absolutely nothing, then it reboots itself, and goes into "there was a problem with startup". I launch startup repair and let it run, it says it can't find anything, and still will not boot.

I can get the computer to come back up, if I start with the last known good configuration, which loads the generic VGA driver again.

I have downloaded and installed every driver I can find for this model, and I get the same result every time. Does anyone out there have any ideas for me?? The generic driver just won't let me do anything with this video card, and I can't run much of anything with it that has actual graphics. My Windows base score comes in at a 1 because of the graphics, when it used to be a 5.9. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Did you disable the generic card first? IL have found that to be the problem I had with mine. In fact I was reading again the instructions for my Nivida not the same as yours but sure it might apply. Strictly told me to disable standard vga first and then download the new drivers.

Thank you for the reply Sonny! I tried that just now, and it didn't work, I still get the black screen after the splash, and it won't boot :frown:

I appreciate the info tho :p

Hey Tazz...your problem sounds like one I experienced, except mine was cause by a bad stick of RAM. You could try taking one out just to see if it boots....if not try taking the other one out. The whole process shouldnt take more than 5 min.

Try this, download the latest driver from Nvidia's site, then get Universal Extractor

On install only check the top box. It will create a UniExtract Files on the right-click context menu.

Rather than double-clicking the downloaded file from Nvidia, this will extract the contents of the .exe file, No go to Device Manager and under Display adapters, choose update driver software, now go back to Device Manager, navigate to the folder you extracted the files into and choose the .inf file and this will start the installation.

Drewm,

Yes, that's the way it "usually" works, but you can see he;s having problems doing it that way.

This is how I finally got my Nvidia 8500GT installed correcttly

You guys are probably right....his symptoms mimic a problem I was having. But my 85 or 8600 went in flawless. Mine was or is a EVGA card.

Reg, the solution you offered was the one I thought would work - I just didn't know how to extract the driver only. However, I've tried it with 2 of the drivers I've downloaded, and I end up with the same problem. I reboot, and after the splash, the screen goes black and reboots. It will not boot with one of those drivers. But now I have the tool to extract those files!

Kevin - if this were my desktop, I'd have no problem taking out the RAM, but I'm not comfortable with laptops and all their parts!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions...and will keep an eye on the forum for anything else that may help out.

:confused:

No you have to extract ALL files in the .exe file, because it uses them for the installation

Can you tell me the name if the .inf file and if there us more than just one.

I did extract the entire file. There are multiple INF files in the folder:

nvaa, nvac, nvam, nvao, nvar, nvbl, nvct, nvcv, nvdj, nvdm, NVFU, nvhm, nviv, nvlo, NVLT, nvmi, nvmm, nvmt, nvqn, nvqu, nvsm, nvtm, nvtq, nvts, nvvd, nvwi

(I think they used every letter in the alphabet for this file :p)

When I navigated to that folder thru the device manager, it only lets me choose the folder, not an .INF file. Did I extract it incorrectly?

Last edited:
Reg, I tried that file and my system doesn't like it. I didn't realize the first one was the 64 bit version, so I found the 32 bit version and it doesn't like it either.

Here are the driver versions I've found and tried so far, with the same results as detailed before:

I tried the extract procedure on these and it didn't work:

Any other ideas? I'm going to try the extract on the other two files I still have left. Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate the ideas you've given me :rolleyes:

In order to get the computer to boot back up, I have to boot with the last known good config. Right now, it's showing the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Sonny, on a whim today I decided to try your solution again. I had extracted all the NVIDIA files as suggested by Reg, and I thought maybe a combination of the two might work. I uninstalled the generic driver, and rebooted the computer. When it restarted, it automatically found the 8600 GS driver and installed it, and rebooted just fine! For some reason, it took a combination of both to get it done.

Many thanks to both Sonny and Reg, my laptop is finally up and running!!!:razz:

Sonny, on a whim today I decided to try your solution again. I had extracted all the NVIDIA files as suggested by Reg, and I thought maybe a combination of the two might work. I uninstalled the generic driver, and rebooted the computer. When it restarted, it automatically found the 8600 GS driver and installed it, and rebooted just fine! For some reason, it took a combination of both to get it done.

Many thanks to both Sonny and Reg, my laptop is finally up and running!!!:razz:

Your welcome Tazz. I am glad that is working for you. Have a Great Day!

Back
Top Bottom