Windows 10 Nvidia driver update killed my PC...

DeroQc

So, there was an Nvidia drivers update. At some point the screen went black like it usually does for a couple seconds but this time the image never came back. The screen stayed black for like 10 minutes until I pressed ctrl alt delete which restarted the computer right away for some reason. Now when I start the computer, the TUF logo appears then it goes black and I can't do anything, I can't even access BIOS...does anyone know how to get around thus, I'm desperate :'(

I got an i-5 9600kf and a 1660TI on windows 10...

If you have Windows media either USB or disk try booting from that and entering the recovery enviroment.

You should be able to enter the bios tho... Bit odd that. Have you tried F2 or Delete?

If you have Windows media either USB or disk try booting from that and entering the recovery enviroment.

You should be able to enter the bios tho... Bit odd that. Have you tried F2 or Delete?
Oh yeah I spammed Delete and every F-keys possible. I even tried unplugging the graphics card and plugging the screen straight into the motherboard's HDMI and Display port but then it wouldn't even make it to the TUF logo, everything just stays black... I'll try to boot it like you said when I get home. Thanks for answering me btw.

Your very welcome..

Failing the above..
You don't have a spare monitor lying around do you? An old one perhaps?

You could at least check if it's the pc/card not giving out a video signal or the monitor itself?

My Xbox is also plugged into that same monitor and I used it to watch videos on Youtube after my PC gave up. I'm 99% sure the Nvidia update is responsible for this :/

Your very welcome..

Failing the above..
You don't have a spare monitor lying around do you? An old one perhaps?

You could at least check if it's the pc/card not giving out a video signal or the monitor itself?

My Xbox is also plugged into that same monitor and I used it to watch videos on Youtube after my PC gave up. I'm 99% sure the Nvidia update is responsible for this :/

Any joy booting from media?
I tried booting it with a Windows USB media plugged in but it didn't do anything, unfortunately.
I thought that the boot priority was probably set to my SSD and I can't change the priority without accessing BIOS.
So I tried taking the SSD out and just leave the HDD plugged in with the windows USB media, still black screen, it didn't matter if I plugged the HDMI cable into the card or straight into the MB, the damn black screen prevailed... I've never seen a mess like this. Any ideas ?

If you know that the monitor definitely works have you checked the cable?

Any chance you have a techy friend who'll let you test your parts in their machine? At least then you could start bug hunting proper.

If you know that the monitor definitely works have you checked the cable?

Any chance you have a techy friend who'll let you test your parts in their machine? At least then you could start bug hunting proper.
Yeah I built a gaming PC for my brother, if I'm unable to fix it this week I'll try to test my parts in his PC this weekend. I assume the cable is fine since I get to see the TUF logo before it goes dark. I'll double-check it with my Xbox when I get home just to be sure. Someone suggested me to try my old card in the PC to see if it allows me to get to the BIOS or Safe Mode. If it doesn't work I'll also try to unplug everything and get the CMOS battery out of the MB for a while... I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your time.

It's an odd one for sure and I'd love to hear about any results you get from bug hunting, best of luck!

It's an odd one for sure and I'd love to hear about any results you get from bug hunting, best of luck!
It worked !! Taking the CMOS battery out to reset the MB was the way to go. I took it out, waited 30 minutes then powered it up, I was able to get to the BIOS and change boot priority to be able to boot with Windows media but I didn't even need to do that because I got back into Windows as soon as I exited the BIOS. I tested everything, started some games, works like a charm. So the Nvidia update seemed to have messed with my motherboard and resetting it was all I needed. Thanks again for your time ! šŸ˜

It worked !! Taking the CMOS battery out to reset the MB was the way to go. I took it out, waited 30 minutes then powered it up, I was able to get to the BIOS and change boot priority to be able to boot with Windows media but I didn't even need to do that because I got back into Windows as soon as I exited the BIOS. I tested everything, started some games, works like a charm. So the Nvidia update seemed to have messed with my motherboard and resetting it was all I needed. Thanks again for your time ! šŸ˜
Excellent! I was going to suggest the bios battery but then thought nah, lol.. Glad you got it working!

Back