Windows 8 Office not working since updates in Win 8.1, 64 bit

Georgey

Honorable Member
Since the mass update about 10 days ago, (not the last one about 3 days ago), my Office 2013 Pro Plus 64 bit has not been working at all. I can’t open either the programs or any file created by them.

Two minor issues also started at the same time. On every start of Windows desktop.ini pops up in notepad, even after I deleted it from both
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
Also, when I shut down the system, I got a message that MUI should be closed first.
These suggest that the issue is with Access, and indeed, when I uninstalled Office with Revo uninstaller I got a warning that Access MUI and MS Office are installed at the same location.

I also tried to run setup for repair, it said, it had finished fine, but still no function at all.

Then, I tried to install Office without Access. When, however, I opened up the components in Customization, Access was marked as not available!

What’s this, and how to fix it please.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Can't help you on Office issue.
I might be able to help you on the " desktop.ini " issue...........
Assuming you have Win 8.1 Update 1.
Go to Start screen > in the search box, type folder options > click Folder Options > click View tab at the top > scroll to " Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) " > Is the box un-checked ? If yes check it > OK when done.
Image 5.png

Yes, davidhk129, this was checked already, yet, since those updates desktop.ini pops up on every start.

Yes, the solution will only hide the hidden .ini folders. Open the task manager (Right click the takbar) and select the startup tab. See if you have any items there listed as "notepad" and disable them.
Not sure about the Office issue though. I would uninstall it through "Programs and Features", and then ensure the "Microsoft Office" folders were gone from Program files and Program files (x86). Then reboot and reinstall the program.

Hi davehc,
Nothing is in my Task mngr/stratup with notepad.
Of course, I tried to uninstall via control panel, and re-install. When it didn't help, I uninstalled via Revo uninstaller, and purged all leftover files and register entires, as mentioned above. No remedy by that either. I'm sure the issue is deeper.

If and only if you have exhausted your search for a solution, I have a "drastic" suggestion.......

Make sure you set your Windows Update at Manual.
Do a system restore. Pick a date BEFORE that "mass update" as your restore point.
If that gets your Office back on track, then wait for the "mass update".
When that shows up, install them ONE at a time. After one update is installed, check to see if your Office is still ok. If yes, install the next update, and so on. That way, it will single out the offending update ( assuming one of those updates is the culprit as you concluded.)
If you have found the offending update, you can "hide" it for now or just leave it there. Then ask around if someone can fix that.

As I said at the beginning, don't do it unless you have no solution to be found.

Indeed, davidhk129, this is a last resort. I don't think I have a restore point saved, I have though 'disaster recovery' backup. There were more than 30 updates since that up to the issue, and no guaranty that only one of them is to blame; so for the time being, as you advised too, I keep seeking an easier solution.

The Aug updates caused a lot of trouble for many pcs. 4 of the updates are asked to be removed by MS.
It cannot simply be done via add/remove.
Let us hope a fix will be out soon.

The August updates caused no problem in my system. As to the early April updates, I had to try them one by one, and found that KB2919355, the biggest, 890 MB, was the guilty one. Thus, I've been living without that. Does anybody have some idea what in that particular update could interfere with Office and how to reconcile them?

Georgey,

By any chance you have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit software installed ?
*** I am NOT referring to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software ***

If yes...............
1. disable or uninstall it...... for now.
2. reinstall KB2919355 and see if your MS Office works or not.

Last edited:
Thank you so much davidhk129, all is fair and square now!

May I take the opportunity to ask you about another problem?

My winprint.dll file is corrupt. I’ve checked from all angles, this is the culprit. The known methods to restore system files failed, viz. scf/scannow from elevated cmd, Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth as well as FixIt and Tweaking. I’ve been advised that the hotfix http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows 8.1/sp1/Fix490145/9600/free/471576_intl_x64_zip.exe would solve the issue, I don’t need the hotfix though, wouldn't like to create a source for possible malfunction.

What I need is merely replacing a single file (in two locations tough). I've got the necessary file, version 6.3.9600.16384, yet I can’t install it. According to ‘properties’ I, as administrator, am the owner, and have full rights, yet when I try to overwrite or delete, access is denied. Any way to replace it?

Thanks a lot for all.

I am afraid I do not have enough knowledge to answer this question.
You could try right click at the file you want to delete > select Take Ownership > then try to delete again. Of course you must login to an admin account first.
If yo do not have Take Ownership option in your right click context menu, use this tutorial to install it :
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html
** do step 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8**

That is the extent of my know-how. It probably does not help either.

I am sure someone else will come along to help you.
Good luck.

Last edited:
What I need is merely replacing a single file (in two locations tough). I've got the necessary file, version 6.3.9600.16384, yet I can’t install it. According to ‘properties’ I, as administrator, am the owner, and have full rights, yet when I try to overwrite or delete, access is denied. Any way to replace it?

1. You don't own the file… Microsoft does.
Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (23).png

To be clear, this can allow you to remove files that Windows needs to boot up so make a backup first or on your own head be it!

davidhk129, you solved a problem I'd been struggling for half a year and couldn't get help form many other sources. Your knowledge is respectable indeed. Thank you very much once more.

ussnorway, I can see this only:

Screen 1.jpg

Screen 2.jpg

Screen 3.jpg

The initial, default owner of this file, as you pointed out, is Microsoft. Formally, as shown in your screenshot above, 'TrustedInstaller'.
I took ownership of this file in my system and since that, as I pointed out, I am. Formally, as shown in my screenshot above that you quoted, 'Georgeous'.

Once you have ownership, you must then set permissions on the file to full... see screens 7-11 above.

btw set ownership to "everyone"... as that removes any domain/ network restriction.

To be clear, IMO "everyone" should only be used when a file is to be removed... It’s a massive security risk to leave "everyone" files on your computer.

First I stated three simple facts '[1] I, as administrator, am the owner, and [2] have full rights, [3] yet when I try to overwrite or delete, access is denied.'
Then I posted three respective screenshots to prove each. What are we talking about the first two? Those had long been set straight! The problem is with #3.

Back