Windows 7 Only One Way Networking between W7 and XP?

dvoigt

I recently added a Windows 7 Professional computer to my home network. The other PCs are still running in XP SP3. The new W7 computer can communicate one way with the XP computers fine (retrieving files and printers); however, even though I believe I have filled all the "sharing" blocks on the W7 computer, the XPs do not find either the printers on the W7 computer or the C drive. They only find "Default" & "Public" users going from the XP to the W7! Where did I miss something?:confused:

First off, if you're in a "HomeGroup", leave it. Since you have no other Win7 machines there's nothing to be gained as far as I know. Now let's start with the Win7 host attached printer...when you open devices and printers from the start menu and you right click on that printer and select "Printer Properties" not properties. Under the sharing tab have you selected "Share this printer" if not please do so and give it a friendly name, something short and without spaces please. It may be necessary to install the XP drivers for that printer on the XP machines. Let us know how it's going and we'll try to stay with you. We'll get to the other sharing issue later, just work on the Win7 Printer for now.

Thanks for th quick respone. OK, I tried that; but, still the same on the printer scene. I believe it has something to do with sharing from my W7 machine as I can retrieve files from the XP guys, but not vice versa. I found one of the machines when I looked under "Workgroup" instead of under the old network name. As you said, it wants a PCL6 driver. I now need to find out how to get that.

Thanks for th quick respone. OK, I tried that; but, still the same on the printer scene. I believe it has something to do with sharing from my W7 machine as I can retrieve files from the XP guys, but not vice versa. I found one of the machines when I looked under "Workgroup" instead of under the old network name. As you said, it wants a PCL6 driver. I now need to find out how to get that.
First make sure that ALL your machines are in the same workgroup...that is they have the same workgroup name. And of course make sure that none of your machines have the same computer name this will really cause a problem with Netbios information. It would probably help if I new what the printer was but essentially you need to understand that Windows XP 32 bit is probably not going to be able to use the driver that's installed on your Win7 machine, so go to the manufacturers website on the XP machine and download the driver to the XP machine, if it's a compressed file you can use something like "7Zip" to extract it to a folder on the XP machine. Then when you attach to the Printer on the Win7 machine and it asks for a suitable driver, direct the process to the folder where you put the XP driver. We'll go from there.

I've also downloaded from driver's from the HP web site (both a Link Removed due to 404 Error and a Link Removed due to 404 Error. I follwed their instructions to load the new drivers and neither worked. Before the W7 machine the HP 4200 worked from the server machine for all networked computers. Since I moved the printer primary to the W7 computer, it is the only machine that enables the printer.:frown:

Let start at the very beginning. Which version of Windows 7 Professional are you using 64bit or 32bit. Windows XP no matter what, unless of course it's the 64bit version of XP, will not be able to use a 64bit printer driver. If the printer is on the Win7 machine and it works, let's get away from that for the moment and try to get it working on the XP machine which I'm going to assume are 32bit versions so you need to download the 32bit XP driver for the LaserJet4200, either PCL driver should work.

Last edited:
OK, I'm sure this new machine is 64 bit. It is on W7 Professional. I guess I will have to look for a 32 bit drive. That still does not solve the file sharing issue. I know, one step at a time!

OK, if you're sure, did you look at the attachment in my post....that is how you can positively confirm. Remember the 32 bit driver for the HP is for the XP machine not the Win7 machine. Now for your file sharing issue. Just as a test open your libraries and right click on say just your music folder, now on the share with fly out, do you have a choice to choose specific people, if so choose that, now from the drop down arrow just for now choose everyone and see if that share is now available to the other computers.

I didn't get to open your attachment to see if I was 32 or 64 . . .

The fly out gave me a choice to "Not "Sharing" "read only" or "read/write" -
When I went a little further is showed "read/write" was authorized by the homegroup.

Next?

It should say at the top "Nobody" with a picture of a padlock
"HomeGroup (Read)"
"HomeGroup (Read/Write"
and at the bottom "Specific People"
you are not showing this when you right click one of the folders in your library and go down to the "Share With" option

OK - I tried the sharing possiblity with the "fly out" enabling everyone in the workgroup to have access to that folder. Still no luck. I can go the other way, i.e., I can access the XP computer's files but the XP cannot look at the W7 files.

Yes I am. I went to the Share with "workgroup" as a "specifice group" in addition to the owner to be able to read/write

The error message I get from any of the XP machines says "\\HP\c in not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access denied."

Please determine the name of the Windows 7 PC (the actual computer name, right click my computer and choose properties) see attachment. Write it down. Now on the xp machine click start, click run (or hold down the windows logo key and simultaneously strike the "r" key) in the run dialog box type \\computername (the one you wrote down), tell me if that shows anything.

Last edited:
OK - back to the printer! It is connected to the W7 machine and works as advertised. However, the network computers no longer can use it as it has the wrong driver. I would assume.

As the printer worked with the XP computers before, there must have been a correct driver set on the computer before. When it asks for a "correct driver" do you now where I should look to find it?

Back