Windows 7 Open file location not working correctly

hummlas

Hi!

For some reason I can only click on some shortcuts and click 'open file location' and actually get to the files actual location.. for most shortcut it only opens the same folder as the shortcut is in (ie the desktop).

If I open the properties dialog for the shortcut, the 'open file location' button is disabled.

Does anyone how a clue what causes this and how to fix it?

(The lnkfile file thingy is present in the registry so that is not the issue).

Hi!

For some reason I can only click on some shortcuts and click 'open file location' and actually get to the files actual location.. for most shortcut it only opens the same folder as the shortcut is in (ie the desktop).

If I open the properties dialog for the shortcut, the 'open file location' button is disabled.

Does anyone how a clue what causes this and how to fix it?

(The lnkfile file thingy is present in the registry so that is not the issue).

How have these shortcuts been created, by you or an installation or..? Take one of the shortcuts that you know the location of and go and use the shortcut creator wizard to make a new one and see if that has the 'Open..' button working.

How have these shortcuts been created, by you or an installation or..? Take one of the shortcuts that you know the location of and go and use the shortcut creator wizard to make a new one and see if that has the 'Open..' button working.

If i browse my way to the application folder and make a new shortcut it works as it should. But none of the shortcuts created by the applications installer has the button enabled.

Does this have anything to do with permissions or what causes this, or more importantly how do i fix this?
(my user account has admin privileges).

If i browse my way to the application folder and make a new shortcut it works as it should. But none of the shortcuts created by the applications installer has the button enabled.

Does this have anything to do with permissions or what causes this, or more importantly how do i fix this?
(my user account has admin privileges).

I tried installing half a dozen apps to test and they all created 'working' shortcuts with the 'Open' button intact.

Maybe it is to do with permissions? I have UAC totally disabled if that helps any.

I tried installing half a dozen apps to test and they all created 'working' shortcuts with the 'Open' button intact.

Maybe it is to do with permissions? I have UAC totally disabled if that helps any.

I also have have UAC disabled, but I did notice that the problem only occurs with some shortcuts created by an installer, not all of them as I first thought..
some of the shortcuts whïch decided not to work is for the game Flock and for a statistics analysis program called minitab.

Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom