Opera runs but no GUI display

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by Scotty369, Jun 21, 2014.

  1. Scotty369

    Scotty369 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've been dumfounded with this issue for a couple of months. Opera released a new upgrade and I let it install automatically as I usually do. Have used Opera for years with no issues. Next time the program would not launch, or at least appeared no to. I ran Process Explorer (Sysinternals) and it indicated three thread of Opera running, but there was no display, no GUI window.

    I de-installed everything, cleaned out the computer and re-installed. Same bullshit. De-installed and installed older 18.0 version, same luck. I've let it go for a while and just started re-investigating. Again cleaned out all traces and re-installed new 22.0 version. Only difference this time is that watching Process Explorer the program starts up then crashes and exits, but no GUI display to indicate any of this.

    Searching on Google I note others having similar problem with Firefox or other program, but can't find any instances with Opera. What similar info I found had no clear answer. I note that Google Chrome will not load properly either anymore. I get what looks like a white page over the whole display making it unusable. Not sure if the problems are related. Does anyone have any ideas.

    Operating system Win7-64Pro, 32 gig Ram, Nvidia GTS450, 1 Tb Samsung SSD, Matrox Triple Head digital w/3 24" Asus HDMI monitors.

    I am going to tr looking at GTS450 updates but since everything else, MS, Adobe, Magix, Camtasia, Corel software run fine, I don't see this as the problem. Will do another clean out of Chrome and Opera and strip the Registry of all remnants to see if something there is a problem.
    Thanks, Scotty
     
  2. Scotty369

    Scotty369 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, I updated all my drivers, including Nvidia, and lo-and-behold it fixed the problem. While Nvidia was doing updaed it launched Opera to display a html file so as soon as it had finished I checked it and all was good agian. After that I installed google Chrome again and it also is behaving properly.
    So, the lesson learned, don't discount the power of driver updates. However, from the way things happened, it certainly seemed more of a software malfunction than hardware. I put off doing a Nvidia update because it usually means I have to re-tweak all my display settings for my Matrox Triple Head. Sure enough, software that was designated to open on one of my 3 displays now wants to spread over all 3 monitors. Minor problem to resolve however.

    Alls well that ends well and doesn't cost anything.
     

Share This Page

Loading...