Windows 8 Other devices being asked to login...can't share folders

overseer

I have all my media on a Windows 8 Pro (64bit) desktop. I have the drives that I want to share set to "everyone" and "full control". I set them in the advanced sharing tab.

My other desktop on the network can connect and access all other drives, folders and files just fine. I don't have a password set on either desktop and I'm never asked.

The problem is with the other devices on my home network. None of them can access my desktop. A few Android phones and tablets and a Patriot Box Office media player. I'll get a pop-up asking for a login and password or it just won't connect.

I've turned off the firewall in Windows, my AV and the router...no change.
I've mess with so many settings I can't even list them all, nothing works.
I've been troubleshooting for days and can't figure out what to do next.

Any ideas what to try? Thanks

I've run into the same problem as you trying to share a drive (internal) of the system. What I've found is that this is inherent to Windows, all windows platforms, and designed this way for security reasons and protection of the system. Because if you allow access to a drive that has system files needed for windows to operate, then a user with access can change/modify said files which can render the system inoperable. Not saying this can't be done, but it's a long drawn out process to allow certain users, parameters for each user and so on...and just a real pain...for me anyway.

What works and much easier, is get an HDD inclosure and install drives that you want to share and hook that up directly to the router, via usb or eSata, which can be accessed through the network openly.

Thanks but I didn't see anything in there regarding my issue.

I've run into the same problem as you trying to share a drive (internal) of the system. What I've found is that this is inherent to Windows, all windows platforms, and designed this way for security reasons and protection of the system. Because if you allow access to a drive that has system files needed for windows to operate, then a user with access can change/modify said files which can render the system inoperable. Not saying this can't be done, but it's a long drawn out process to allow certain users, parameters for each user and so on...and just a real pain...for me anyway.

What works and much easier, is get an HDD inclosure and install drives that you want to share and hook that up directly to the router, via usb or eSata, which can be accessed through the network openly.

Everything worked great like this with Windows 7, I find it hard to believe that you can't share drives across the network in Windows 8.
I will eventually get a NAS, but for now, this is the set-up I'm going with.

Thanks but I didn't see anything in there regarding my issue.

Did you not read the section on 'add devices'? Ok it is an xbox 360 they're using as a example but it might be worth following their example?

This is just thinking for your android stuff ect..

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you not read the section on 'add devices'? Ok it is an xbox 360 they're using as a example but it might be worth following their example?

This is just thinking for your android stuff ect..

It doesn't find any of my devices. Thanks anyways.

These drivers are normally available either in Windows 8 or through the manufacturer. Since we have no information on your system, it is hard to tell where you may need to get a driver. Perhaps kemical's link will help.

Everything worked great like this with Windows 7, I find it hard to believe that you can't share drives across the network in Windows 8

Windows 8 and above blocks un-secured network traffic (by deliberate design)… the work around bassfisher6522 posted works * because it takes control of the network share away from Windows and hands it too your router but if you can’t accept that then your only other real option is to secure the entire network with passwords or go back to using the out-dated/ slower network shares of Windows 7.

* Most router usb ports will give 10 MB/s maximum transfer speed but 5 is more realistic with files that are larger than a gig so if consistent speed is needed then Windows 8 rules!

Back