Windows 8 "other user" as sign in

Kane

please help me, whenever i log onto my laptop im prompted as other user then i am told password is incorrect. i then can switch to my proper account and i am fine. on user settings there is only my main account. why the hell is this happening.

I do not claim to have a solution for you, just a couple of troubleshooting suggestions :

1. Run a full virus scan and see if it catches any.
If you do not have Malwarebytes, I would suggest you install a FREE edition and run it. It is the best in the business.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

2. Run a system file check to make sure you do not have corrupt files. It will try to do repair if it finds any.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

If it tells you it has found corrupt files but unable to repair them, use this method :
In the SAME cmd ( run as admin ) window, copy and paste this command at the flashing prompt....
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
press Enter.
It will take quite a while. Sit back and let it does its job.

virus was clear. running scan. i feel its to do with the fact i had to change my live.co.uk password.

i've turned off password sign in and it chose my default profile

please help me, whenever i log onto my laptop im prompted as other user then i am told password is incorrect. i then can switch to my proper account and i am fine. on user settings there is only my main account. why the hell is this happening.

OK. 3rd suggestion if first 2 do not help at all:

Create a new administrator account, give it a password. Log on to it and make sure it is working fine. This will be your emergency admin account if things got rough.

Now, I would like you to elaborate what you said in the initial post because I am confused .....
When you turn on your computer, you will see the sign in screen. Yes ?
1. What do you mean " im prompted as other user " ?
2. How did you "switch" to your proper account ?

Last edited:
i'll screenshot if further trouble. thank you so much for your responses so far

. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

yes. once upon a time I had tech savvy. not so much now

Back