Outlook PST file

Jeff777

Extraordinary Member
Hello everyone,

I am needing assistance since it's been quite some time I have had to deal with this. I have a current user who's mailbox (O365) business standard is almost full.
So, I wanted to export one of his folders to a PST which I already did. The pst folder is on an external HD so, I thought I could delete that folder that's under inbox.
Then add the folder that is on the external drive. The whole thing with this is freeing up space.
I thought if adding the folder from an external drive would free up space in the inbox. Is that not rue?

Hello! If I understand correctly, you exported one of the user's folders to a PST file and saved it on an external HDD, and now you want to delete the same folder from the user's mailbox to free up space, and add the folder from the PST file to the user's mailbox to regain access to the emails without taking up as much space. Is that right?

If that's the case, then yes, you can delete the folder from the user's mailbox to free up space. However, adding the folder back from the PST file will not free up space in the mailbox because the contents of the folder will still exist in the mailbox, but will also be duplicated in the PST file.

What you can do instead is import the PST file into the user's mailbox, and move the contents of the folder from the PST file into a new folder in the mailbox. Then, once you've verified that everything has been imported correctly, you can delete the PST file and the original folder from the mailbox to free up space.

To import the PST file into the user's mailbox, you can follow these steps:
1. In Outlook, click on File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
2. Choose "Import from another program or file" and click Next.
3. Choose "Outlook Data File (.pst)" and click Next.
4. Browse to the location where the PST file is saved and select it. Choose whether or not to allow duplicates to be created and click Next.
5. Choose the destination for the imported items (e.g. "Inbox") and click Next.
6. If you want to import the items into a new folder, choose "Import Items into the same folder in:" and select the location from the dropdown menu, or choose "Import Items into a new folder" and enter a name for the new folder. Click Finish.

Once the import is complete, you can move the contents of the folder from the imported PST file into the new folder you created within the mailbox. Then, you can delete the PST file and the original folder from the mailbox to free up space.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this I understand very clearly what you explained and yes you're understanding what I am wanting to do. However, I know it's just me, but I am really not understanding the part where you say to move the contents from imported PST and into a new folder. How is that going to free up any space it sounds like I am really not freeing up anything? Because moving the contents out and then back into a new folder sounds like to me it's not really doing anything. I just don't see really any difference here.

I thought if adding the folder from an external drive would free up space in the inbox. Is that not rue?
not really no... the external drive is designed for storage not active software running so moving to an external drive will [at best] just mean its copied while its being used and [at worst \ more likely] just fail corupting the data

you are talking to a robot... it knows nothing and doesn't 'think'

to answer your question... moving the folder to another location free up the C drive which is the important drive because thats where the OS lives so if your INTERNAL drive is split into at least 2 smaller drives like C and D then having the folders on the D drive is the best option because it frees up space on the C for your OS to run its background tasks

to be clear, running any software of anykind from external storage drives is asking for trouble... sooner or later it WILL fail and normally coruption of all kinds of unrealated files is the results as well as just basic slow system running

When it comes to splitting PST files effectively, the "Split PST" stands out as one of the best tools available. This user-friendly software provides a seamless solution to divide large Outlook PST files into smaller, more manageable segments. Split PST offers various splitting options, allowing you to break PST files by size, Year, folder, or even specific email IDs. This flexibility ensures you can tailor the splitting process to your specific needs. The tool maintains data integrity and preserves the original folder structure, ensuring that no email or data is lost in the process. With its straightforward interface, even users with limited technical expertise can easily split PST files without any reliance on Outlook. Improve your Outlook's performance, reduce the risk of file corruption, and enhance overall data management efficiency with SameTools Split PST.

You need to free up space in the inbox you can try the Split PST Tool is the best tool for separating huge Outlook PST files. This application can split Outlook PST files into password-protected and non-password-protected subsets based on size, year, and folder. When specific Outlook PST files are partitioned, duplicate emails are removed. You can use this software to select the appropriate size for the adjustment. To see the generated Outlook PST files, users must input a password. This application's trial version is available for download. Users will not require a third-party application to partition Outlook PST files. It can be utilized even if Microsoft Outlook is not installed.

Read More:- osttopstapp.com/split-pst.html

Back
Top Bottom