Over Max Ram?

PhoenixKing

Hello, Im currently useing a Compaq Presario CQ70-120US with specs saying that 3 gigs ram is max. Well I went ahead and placed 4 GB of ram inside and it seems to be working fine. Im running on Windows 7 32-bit. I was just wonder what are some consequence or things that could happen because of what I did. Or if there is any way to make my laptop compatable with 4 Gb of rams?

There are no possible "consequences", other than possibly not using all the RAM.
Did you check the System heading under control panel to see if all of the 4 GB is actually recognized?
Even though you installed 4 GB, since you are using 32-bit windows, you will not get the full 4GB to USE either way.

All 4 GBs were recgonized. Even though I am using 32-bit Vista, when I right click My computer and properties to check, it detects all 4 GBs. I just don't want anything to happen later that I might regret because I added extra Ram.

Question about max RAM

Hi
Sorry if this is not the correct forum, but was looking for help with RAM and saw this page. I have Windows XP professional on a Dell Dimension 8400. I have an ATI Radeon card with 256mb and 1GB RAM. Recently I purchased two 1gb RAM Corsair xms2 DDR2 RAM, (for a total of 2GB), which, with the existing RAM would be 3gb.
After some trouble installing it the pc started functioning well, but after a few days using it to play multiplayer games the pc started crashing, with some error messages that appeared to be about the graphics card (started with R423XT P/N 113-A31903-102-Rev09-16P). So, my brother gave me his old NVIDIA card, which also has 256mb (can’t remember the model and happened the same thing (not the same error message, but the computer won’t start). He also gave me a couple of 512mb RAM which I installed and now the PC has 2 GB RAM and working fine.
So, my question is if I were to buy a 512mb graphics card, would I’ll be able to use the Corsair RAM or have the same situation? If not, will it be worth it to spend on a 512 graphics card even thou I would only be having 2 GB RAM

windows will dectect all of your ram. But it can't use all of it. due to 32-bit limitation. u dont need to worrie about your pc,BUT windows cant use all of the RAM even if it is detected.

Hello, Im currently useing a Compaq Presario CQ70-120US with specs saying that 3 gigs ram is max. Well I went ahead and placed 4 GB of ram inside and it seems to be working fine. Im running on Windows 7 32-bit. I was just wonder what are some consequence or things that could happen because of what I did. Or if there is any way to make my laptop compatable with 4 Gb of rams?

Nothing bad will happen. Windows 7 simply won't be able to utilize the complete 4GB RAM. :)

Yes, there are no bad consequencies at all, most likely your laptop manual states the max amout for the preinstalled system. If 4 Gb are detected, then your mb allows it, so see your chipset specs.

32-bit systems can use slightly above 3 Gb, but if your CPU has PAE then you may want to read this Microsoft KB to extend your RAM usage to 4 Gb. And if your CPU supports 64-bit mode, then simply consider switching to a x64 os.

Back